• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the GTX 1080 a good choice for my setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NightPatrol

Registered
Hey guys,

I have a computer with a GTX 970 and AMD A10-7850K APU which is an APU. I have enough saved up to replace my 970 with a 1080.

Previously, I was told my four 1080p monitors was too much for a 970, and that I should wait for the 1080 or buy a GTX 980Ti.

Now, the reason I'm buying this is because my computer can't really game with 4 monitors, and I need it to. I get about 25-50% the framerate with 3-4 monitors as I do with only one. I know my cpu isn't too good, but do you guys think my PC will run decent with the 1080? Will my CPU be too big of a bottleneck? Please leave your feedback, it is much appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. my signature is outdated and it won't update when I edit it for some reason... this is a link to my PC right now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xzPqLk

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
I think you'll be bottlenecked by the 7850K, if you aren't already.

wingman99

Hey guys,

I have a computer with a GTX 970 and AMD A10-7850K APU which is an APU. I have enough saved up to replace my 970 with a 1080.

Previously, I was told my four 1080p monitors was too much for a 970, and that I should wait for the 1080 or buy a GTX 980Ti.

Now, the reason I'm buying this is because my computer can't really game with 4 monitors, and I need it to. I get about 25-50% the framerate with 3-4 monitors as I do with only one. I know my cpu isn't too good, but do you guys think my PC will run decent with the 1080? Will my CPU be too big of a bottleneck? Please leave your feedback, it is much appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. my signature is outdated and it won't update when I edit it for some reason... this is a link to my PC right now: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xzPqLk

With 25-50% less framerates with 3-4 monitors you are GPU bottlenecked, a new GTX 1080 would relive that and if you want more FPS than you were getting with one monitor upgrade your CPU also.

Lukart

Registered
Wait to see 1070 reviews, my guess is that much better for the money you pay. Besides, paying 699$ for a VGA , when you can get the 1070 that gives you double the 970 performance for 379$?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Wait to see 1070 reviews, my guess is that much better for the money you pay. Besides, paying 699$ for a VGA , when you can get the 1070 that gives you double the 970 performance for 379$?

It won't be long till they are $599, only the Founders Edition is $699.
Either card will be bottlenecked by a 7850K though, so it's a moot point.

OP
NightPatrol

NightPatrol

Registered
Alright. I may just buy a 1080 and save a bit over the summer to buy like a 6700k and a mb or something good like that, but I am happy that you guys are saying the framerate drop with multiple monitors is probably because of my GPU. I'm perfectly happy with the framerate i get in games rn, I just need that same framerate with 3-4 monitors which sounds easy with the 1080.

wingman99

Alright. I may just buy a 1080 and save a bit over the summer to buy like a 6700k and a mb or something good like that, but I am happy that you guys are saying the framerate drop with multiple monitors is probably because of my GPU. I'm perfectly happy with the framerate i get in games rn, I just need that same framerate with 3-4 monitors which sounds easy with the 1080.
Yes it will be easy with a GTX 1080 and 3-4 monitors.