• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the PSU fan controlled based on temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CArmstrong

Registered
Guys, this may be an easy question for some of you, but I have no idea. That's why I'm here. I know the system is capable of dynamically adjusting the CPU fan speed, but do PSU fans have this ability? The reason I ask is that I noticed my PSU fan no longer spins. The power supply is barely warm to the touch, so I don't think it's overheating.

I'm going to take it out of the case tonight and clean it, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and order a new power supply while I'm cleaning it. Is it really bad to leave it running for a day or two without the power supply fan spinning? I'm not exactly a power user and I don't overclock, so nothing should be running too hot. Thanks!

Quick69GTO

Most PSUs control the fan speed but some don't. Those type usually run the fan(s) at full speed.
I have only seen one PSU that will shut one of it's fans off but it had two in it and it was the secondary one that would not always spin. The main one always spun.
If your PSU only has one fan, then I would be concerned that the fan could have possibly died.

Good luck!

OP
CArmstrong

CArmstrong

Registered
Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I was thinking. As far as I can tell, it has only one fan. It came with the case so it's probably not super high-end. ;) I guess I'll look into getting a new one. Thanks again!