• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the X-Fi Fatality worth the extra cash over a Platinum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prodigious

I'm upgrading from my onboard sound(which has EXCELLENT stereo quality, but doesn't cut it for surround sound, or gaming performance) because I'm getting a set of z-5500s which should be here today or tomorrow.

I'm definitely getting an x-fi card since there really isn't much of a choice otherwise(in terms of performance, and I REALLY want to mess around with the new features). Since I want to hook up the digital out to the card for times when I want to watch videos on my comp or listen to DVD-A, I need at least a Platinum version. However, the fatality sounds tempting. It costs a hundred dollars more, but the only discernable difference I saw was a glowing light on the board, and the x-ram.

My question is whether the added x-ram actually impacts things. For instance, can the x-fi setting in games like BF2 only be enabled when you have a fatality or elite pro? Does the x-ram boost fps more than regular x-fi versions? Better sound quality, more effects, etc?

I don't want to know whether it "has potential" to do it in the future. I want to know if it actually does anything in games and applications right now. Obviously 100 bucks is a big jump just for some x-ram, so I'm hoping it has a big effect. If not, I'll just get a platinum.

jason4207

From what I've heard it will only benefit those games that are coded to take advantage of it. I know BF2 does, and I think 1 other one. I think you will notice a slight increase in FPS. Not sure if the sound will be beter or not. Not worth it IMO. I don't see lots of game developers taking the time to code for it unless they are in bed with Creative.

shard

Well the X-fi is great and all, but you wont be using your speakers to their full potential with their somewhat cruddy Analog DAC's. I reccomend digital, yes, I know you want your EAX and other such stuff, but digital with those speakers is phenominal.

I strongly suggest the X-mystique. It has bolth digital Coaxial, and Optical out, utilizes the Dolby Digital Live output, and the DDL surround emulation, so that you will get surround sound out of a 2ch source, works better then you think 90% of the time. There are some games and apps that can give you crap with it, but oh well can be perfect all the time can we? Also in game performance it stays up there with all the creative line, about 1-3fps slower, and will you realy notice this? If you did, you are a little bit over obsessive, lol.

So yeah, check it out, read some reviews, and dont be trigger happy just yet about buying a soundcard.

OP
Prodigious

Prodigious

Sorry guys but I already got this sound card last week. And I was hardly "trigger happy." I was getting an x-fi no matter what. This wasn't about what brand of card to upgrade to, it was about whether the more expensive versions were worth the rediculously higher prices. I know all about most sound cards on the market. The Mystique wasn't what I wanted.

btw, the dacs aren't cruddy. They are hardly audiophile quality, but they get job done pretty damn well. Maybe they would be bad if I hooked them up to some Nautilus 802s, there'd be an issue, but we are talking about a pc sound system FFS. I love my z-5500s they are amazing. Perhaps the best pc surround sound system out there, but they have their limitations, and a minor difference in audio quality due to dacs is not worth sacrifing the features and effects I wanted from the x-fi cards.

And in my personal experience, the CMSS-3d system works a lot better than DD prologic and Dolby virtual speaker, especially with headphones.

Richard

Congratulations on getting the new soundcard. I think you made the best choice. Creative Labs, catches flak all the time from internet audio experts. If anything, I think the X-Fi is overkill for PC audio. :) CL, is going to be hard pressed to come up with something better.

shard

Prodigious said:
Sorry guys but I already got this sound card last week. And I was hardly "trigger happy." I was getting an x-fi no matter what. This wasn't about what brand of card to upgrade to, it was about whether the more expensive versions were worth the rediculously higher prices. I know all about most sound cards on the market. The Mystique wasn't what I wanted.

btw, the dacs aren't cruddy. They are hardly audiophile quality, but they get job done pretty damn well. Maybe they would be bad if I hooked them up to some Nautilus 802s, there'd be an issue, but we are talking about a pc sound system FFS. I love my z-5500s they are amazing. Perhaps the best pc surround sound system out there, but they have their limitations, and a minor difference in audio quality due to dacs is not worth sacrifing the features and effects I wanted from the x-fi cards.

And in my personal experience, the CMSS-3d system works a lot better than DD prologic and Dolby virtual speaker, especially with headphones.

I must have read your original post wrong at first. I didnt realize you where after the other features. Sorry about that man. It still is a great card. You just dont get to use the Z-5500's to their full potential, since they are a true digital set, thus the name. Well enjoy, and sorry about that somewhat snide post.