• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is the XBOX really that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alpha_gamer

Before you guys all start dissin' the XBOX, I HAVE HEARD ALL OF THE INSULTS! Darth does a fine job of putting it down! I was wondering what your guys' opinion is on the XBOX. I do own one and I like using my comp and my box alot.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
I can really go either way, depends on what aspect of the system you're looking at. I've found that the ones that bad-mouth Xbox "'cuz M$ MADE IT OMG" or "teh gamez su><0rz" are usually just die-hard fanboys of some other system.

It's not a bad system. I actually *like* the large, heavy controller. I remember always having to dig around for my heavy rumble pak/memory card dual thing so that my N64 controllers were nice n' heavy, Xbox just makes it easier for me by putting all that weight into a single unit.

The only thing I don't like about it is always having to make sure no one just drops it down on the floor like they do with the PS2 and Gamecube. The thing has an 8GB HDD in it (some shipped with 10GB), and a headcrash would mean losing everything for every game I'd ever played on the system.

The only game I own is Halo. Halo is the only reason I own an Xbox, and I haven't played the game for at least two months. I've finished the entire thing on Legendary by myself, and I don't have another controller to explore the MP maps with. No broad-band connection either, so no Xbox Live for me.

So, as of late, the system has been collection dust like no tomorrow. I prefer my PC over the Xbox, but it's still a tough decision.

tbirdkiri

i dont have a problem with the xbox, i have a problem with the xbox fanboys who are convinced that consoles are way better.....

well from my experience ive never had a game on my pc progressivly bog down to the point of it not being playable, when infact ive had quite the opposite reaction. its getting to the poit that the speeds of current hardware negates the performance boost you get from not having a full level operating system such as on the xbox.... not to mention my pc is alot more functional then an xbox. sure you can rip a cd on the xbox, but sooner or later its gonna suck cause theres not defrag utility, and it doesnt even do it on its own. there is no proper memory managment system.

also the next time i hear a console fanboy tell me that i have to spend 4000 bux to have a good gaming pc im gonna snap....
sure you only spent 300 bux on teh system.. but you still have to spend 500 bux on a nice tv so... so your up to 800 bux.. still alot less then 1500 bux, but functionality is the name of the game, and the xbox limits that..... ooo yea, and about xboxlive.... i love how you have to pay to play online, even though your allready paying for the internet connection. so if you wanted to play some mmorpg, you have to pay for your connection, the xboxlive software, the xboxlive service, and the service thats for the mmorpg..... ehh not too appealing to me considering that mmorpg problys gonna cost ya 60 bux...

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Hey, if you wanna have an Xbox, that's your thing. I'm not going to badmouth you, or the consoles you choose.

I personally don't like the Xbox. It's not because it's made by MS, because MS actually makes quite good hardware. I don't like the controller size or layout, and it really has no games that interest me. If you like it, that's great.

X2sandman

TPC i am the same way with my heavy controlers, i had a rumble pack for n64 that took 4 aa batteries and a memory card. It made hours of No mercy and wrestlemania 2000 so much more fun :)

Lithan

Disabled
I actually like the Xbox.
Am I gonna buy it anytime before you can find em used for 50$?
Probably not.
Why?
I prefer PC gaming. I've got a DC that it sweet. And I've got several pretty cool games for it. But I hardly touch the thing. Console gaming just isn't my taste. Hasn't been since I got a computer. It was like going from the little pony ride in front of a supermarket to getting to ride a real horse at summer camp. And no matter how much consoles improve their graphics, I simply dont have time for them. I play three kinds of games mainly. Strategy, fps, and rpg's.
Strategy? There is no way a console controller could handle these, sorry. Also they have to be multiplayer and frankly Console multiplayer is just another fee to tack onto my internet fees.
fps? No way. Mouse and keyboard are the only way to go from what I've seen. And if you're using a mouse and keyboard on your xbox, you might as well be on a damn computer.
Rpg? The realm of consoles? To hell with that. Final fantasy sucks. I've played 9, and 7 which seems to be everyones favorite and the combat system is just garbage. I dont need to see little characters bobbing up and down while I watch little bars fill up then tell them to attack or attack or attack or attack or heal someone. Just garbage. Diablo's got a better combat system than that and it's ****ing clicking. At least everquests combat system held my interest by making fights so difficult they required the combined efforts of multiple players or constant attention of a single player. In Final fantasies I'd just make folks attack until they could do some super move, stopping to heal them when they were hurting. And after every fight (and there were ****loads of them) I got to see some dumbass celebratory dance, meanwhile I'm about 5 minutes into the story and have seen 20 hours worth of dancing. If these were games developed primarily for pc's you bet your *** you could turn "Dumbass dancing" option OFF.

Burning Phoenix

I have the XBox and used to also own the PS2. In the graphics area the XBox does have definite added effects over the PS2. I do not use the controlller that came with it but instead bought controllers of the same style and smaller.

Now for comparing to a PC. Every system i've built for myself costs more than $1200. I use it for browsing the internet for information of tech stuff , new science innovatons , stocks, programming help , EBAY and other buying online sites. I also use it for graphic editing , web page making , listening to music , watching DVD's , folding/ seti and converting music to mp3's.
If i want to play a game i'll do it on my $200 XBox and on a cheap 20" TV in my kids bedroom.

LiGhTBoY

I would like the XBox if m$ didn't said "with a pentium3 CPU, making gaming.......etc..etc....."
If they said that they put a celly in it, I would buy it, but once again they LIED =P

OP
alpha_gamer

alpha_gamer

Frodo Baggins said:
unrelated but I migh tbe planning on buying a GB advance in a month or two...anything I should know abotu that? Anygood games you would reccomend? Anythign you've found wrong with the GB?

uh... dude, it does have a p3 in it, and a geforce 3. the one thing i love about consoles is the compatibility. no worrying about minimum specs, no crashes (except for the big filled morrowind) and almost anyone can play on a console. my dad beat halo on legendary! it makes mp alot more fun when everyone gets the hang of it in 5 minutes

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
uh... dude, it does have a p3 in it

Nope, it's a Celeron... when Linux for Xbox posted for the first time, that's the processor ID it returned.

Now, that isn't to say it's one of the crappy, early Celerons... :p

eab

I have played on the x box and I like it. The big bulky controler I think is the best controler for a conslole. Would I buy an xbox, no. I play games on my computer. When I play on a console my litlle brother owns me in fps, computer, I own him!

sigee

The xbox rocks..You can play DivX,s on it,theres a ps2 emulator comming out very soon for it,and you can dl games straight onto the hard drive if you know where to look....

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
The xbox rocks..You can play DivX,s on it,theres a ps2 emulator comming out very soon for it,and you can dl games straight onto the hard drive if you know where to look....

I would suggest editing your post before a moderator comes along and eats you. :)

asj

I have played the on an XBox but I didn't like the controller! Well everyones different! And the game I played was rubbish - gothic street racer or something like that! I do own a PS2 but don't use it! Well I do play DVD's on it! I really play on my PC which is OK for gaming! But I don't really mind the Xbox because it has the Hard drive and that you can put linux on it(which I think is the coolest thing ever!)

TheFrag

actually, you can put linux on a PS2 i think, you just need the little kit for online play which makes it into an extremely crappy computer

Yodums

I wouldn't say consoles are bad -- I actually find them quite fun. Regardless of their loading times, low end processing power, and graphics in comparison with PCs, their games rock, their graphics are pretty good. I mean Halo was a real good game, GT3 etc. and none of that was released for PC well Halo is set to be released soon. It is also much more fun playing with a group of friends on a console than it is in a LAN IMHO. All in one group and all ;)

Yodums

OP
alpha_gamer

alpha_gamer

yeah, playing against my friends without a half hour of set up and an extra comp is great, we can get to the gaming and not waste any time. people talk about the pc having like a million more times power than the xbox, but it has some major advantages, no dealing with background programs,waiting for your os to boot up etc. plus it is alot cheaper than a pc. if you want some serious value, a console is a good plan. i can't stand it when people say that you have to buy an expensive t.v. too, don't tell me anyone buying a console doesn't have tv before hand!