• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is their a reason not to paint your internal hardrive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JustDepends

I'm hopefully going to paint my computer case in the near future. I was thinking of painting both my hardrive and my DVD drive(not the bezel). Before I do this I wanted to know if it will damage my drives. Any tips would be helpful.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
Try it on an old drive, I'm pretty sure you'll see it looks silly and isn't worth it. It would take an incredible amount of prep work to get it looking anywhere near decent.

OP
JustDepends

JustDepends

Try it on an old drive, I'm pretty sure you'll see it looks silly and isn't worth it. It would take an incredible amount of prep work to get it looking anywhere near decent.

Ya i was going to try it on an old broken 40gb drive. Only thing is that it is already broken so i can`t really test to see if it works after it is painted.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
They have filtered vent holes, which you would not want to cover up. It's not a sealed enclosure - the hole equalizes pressure inside and outside the drive.

DarkWhite

They have filtered vent holes, which you would not want to cover up. It's not a sealed enclosure - the hole equalizes pressure inside and outside the drive.

So as long as he isn't going to drastically change his altitude or take it on a plane then he should be fine. I'd think the shell is strong enough to handle some small pressure changes, but driving it through mountains or taking it on a plane would cause it to rupture.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Atmospheric pressure is not constant at constant altitude. I don't think the shell has anything to do with it, probably more a matter of the careful balance and precision with which the mechanicals move inside and how changes in pressure can effect that.

I'm no engineer though. I'd also pull on loosely related evidence from Puget systems, as they didn't submerge their hard drives until they went SSD. Likely because they considered it a bad idea to seal the drive and submerge it.

It might not matter, but not closing off the vent would be the safe move.

ekoh

Atmospheric pressure is not constant at constant altitude. I don't think the shell has anything to do with it, probably more a matter of the careful balance and precision with which the mechanicals move inside and how changes in pressure can effect that.

I'm no engineer though. I'd also pull on loosely related evidence from Puget systems, as they didn't submerge their hard drives until they went SSD. Likely because they considered it a bad idea to seal the drive and submerge it.

It might not matter, but not closing off the vent would be the safe move.

You may not be an engineer, but what youre saying is correct, coming from an physics major.

jeckulz

Registered
Now that we've had the "I'm more intelligent than you" part of the thread, lets get it back onn topic.

With regards to your DVD/CD drives... just take the casing off and paint seperately. Most drives Ive seen come apart fairly easily.

HDDs... wouldnt dismantle on of these on my own cash mate.
Masking tape (the blue type) is your best friend here ;)

If you can prep well and move a rattle can in straight lines,
Then you can paint