• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there 5ns SD-RAM??? Could this be possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celemine1Gig

Hi,

I recently saw someone selling PC133 SD-RAM with the following markings on the chips:

tm3v16m1618u-5 <-- :eek:
0234 usa

So does that mean it's really 5ns RAM, or could it just be 7.5ns RAM that was labeled wrong or something like that???

What's your opinion about that?

Thx in advance!

Regards

Ingo

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
Well those chips are usually seen on the old GF2MX SDRAM cards so I guess they do exist but on sticks I have not seen them.

Sonny

Senior TIFOSI
I don't think so but do you have way of testing them first before you buy? I know there is some sort of application that will show you what the chips actually are on them. As soon as I remember what its called I'll post it here:beer:

OP
Celemine1Gig

Celemine1Gig

I know the app. I think it's a prorgam from the computer magazine 'CT. BUT, I don't have a chance to test the RAM, before buying it. On the other hand, the price is low and if it isn't what I expected it to be, then I could sell it on eBay! :D

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Could you post that proggy if you find it, or a link to it? Thanks! -- Paul

Good luck with your RAM! Just what brand is it?

macklin01

Vielen Dank, mein Freund! :) Diese Link gibt mir noch eine Moeglichkeit, mein Deutsch zu ueben. ;)

Hast Du mein Post in General Hardware ueber 512KB L2 vs. 256KB L2 Benchmarken gelesen?

Tschau! -- Paul

OP
Celemine1Gig

Celemine1Gig

Yes, I did! Very interesting , the comparisom benchmarks, that you posted AND, it looks quite professional! Great work with all these graphs. But as you only used synthetic benchmarks, the difference between the two CPUs (256KB and 512KB L2) is quite small.

I'd like to see some Game-benchmarks like Quake3 or RTCW. BUT I didn't want to create the intention that your comparison wasn't a great piece of work! It's just not as dramatic as I'd like it to be!:D

Regards

Ingo

Last edited:

macklin01

Thank you! Well, maybe I might have to install that PIII one more time after all, then.

Indeed those benches are synthetic, but then again, it's a real-life application that is extremely CPU-intensive. The matrix operations used there are similar to the matrix operations one would see in other CPU-intensive apps. (And actually, they use the same routines that the regular program uses, so it's not synthetic w.r.t to the program.)

I'm still highly disappointed with SiSoft Sandra 2003.

Could you give me some instructions on how to run a time demo on Q3A? I don't really know how to do that at the moment. (And I think it's a great idea for a bench, especially as I'm so disappointed with sandra.)

I guess I'll finish all the SiSoft 2003 benches just to have a complete set and then reinstal 2002 and see if that does anything different.

Thanks again! -- Paul

OP
Celemine1Gig

Celemine1Gig

Well, you just have to bring down the console(press the key on the left side next to the 1) and then type in anythin and press enter(Q3 seems not to accept the first command you type in, that's why you first type in somethin useless; strange). After that you key in "timedemo 1" and then you start the timedemo using the field "demo" in the main menu!

AND, don't forget to tell us what version of Q3 you used and what demos!

I'm can't wait to see your Q3 benches!:eek:

macklin01

Okay, you've twisted my arm. I'll reinstall my old PIII and run the benches. :)

I'll probably reinstall Q before I do it, since I think that the pointcast (?) update patch may have messed up the demos. (I can't see them in the main menu anymore.)

Thanks again -- Paul