• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a temp ratio between cpu and other hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arcane

Registered
the reason i ask is that i'm running my 1333 athlon @ 1450 (145x10)...the cpu is running nicely at 25C idle but the the Crystal Orb cooled ti4600 feels like it's running a little warm (at least the heatsink does)...is there a ratio between the cpu temp and video card, i just want to know if i'm in danger of frying the card...if there isn't, what way could i monitor the temp on the card (attached with arctic silver thermal adhesive)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums

No, there is no ratio between the vid card and cpu. It all depends on what your doing (idle, gaming, number crunching), what kind of cooling you have, and your overclocking.

The first sign that a vid card is too hot is garbage on the screen. There will be little spots on the screen that are messed up. If it gets too hot, it'll do like a cpu, shut down. It shouldn't fry though, if it was that hot, it'd be hot to the touch, not just warm. Remember that many of these chips are designed to handle about 80-90c at stock. so unless it's to the point where it hurts to touch then it shouldn't be bad. I really wouldn't worry about frying it, overclocking the FSB doesn't have that much of an affect on the Vid card.

Cluster said:
Welcome to the forums

No, there is no ratio between the vid card and cpu. It all depends on what your doing (idle, gaming, number crunching), what kind of cooling you have, and your overclocking.

The first sign that a vid card is too hot is garbage on the screen. There will be little spots on the screen that are messed up. If it gets too hot, it'll do like a cpu, shut down. It shouldn't fry though, if it was that hot, it'd be hot to the touch, not just warm. Remember that many of these chips are designed to handle about 80-90c at stock. so unless it's to the point where it hurts to touch then it shouldn't be bad. I really wouldn't worry about frying it, overclocking the FSB doesn't have that much of an affect on the Vid card.

ok...i get what you are saying...but are you referring to the gpu that can handle 80C - 90C temps or the cpu...also, i thought when you overclock the bus speed it affects your agp and pci devices...at least that's what i've read...could be wrong though:eh?: ...well, my machine only locked up once playing SoF after an hour, then i just reset it back to stock settings...is this something i should be worried about or could i put the clock speeds back up to 350/700???

Back