• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to disable caching for network drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fiz

A friend of mine is using webdrive (webdav) with a program that he wrote and he is using the windows API function "CopyFile" to copy a file from the local drive to the webdrive.

Windows seems to do the whole thing in memory first - then when the "copying" is totally done (as far as windows is concerned), the actual copying to webdrive begins.

The problem is that the CopyFile function ALWAYS returns TRUE (because the "in memory" copy works) even if the webdrive transfer is interrupted or fails.

We are searching for a way to turn off this caching for network drives in Windows XP but have not been able to find it.

Has anyone else used webdrive with a program to "copy" files - how do you verify that the copy really worked? Is there a "check" to verify that the files on the server and local machine are the same size?

The reason I ask is that we need to be able to have my program "see" that the transfer failed and attempt to resend. This is not working correctly because as far as Windows is concerned, all went well.

TIA
Fiz :bang head