• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to test fan first before installing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calavera

Just like the subject says: Is there a way to test a fan without having to install it?

Say a CPU HSF for example. Can I hook it up with something to let the HSF run without having to use thermal paste and putting it on the CPU?

I'd like to test for noise. :)

IR1

what kinda connector does the fan have? Molex or 3 pin? most motherboards have two 3 pin plugs.

If its a molex just plug it into an empty molex and fire the computer up with its old HSF on it.

Or if its the 3 pin plug it into the xtra 3 pin that is used for the system case fan.

What did ya get a Vantgec tornado.

I just got mine today and tested it like above... it was loud man... so I am gonna have to setup a rheobus for all my case fans.

flixotide

either way, I would get hold of an old AT PSU, and a connector to go from 4 pin til 3 pin.. that way you can test all the fans you like...

works fine for me :eek:)

LittlePiggie

I just use an old at ps and take some wire, plug it into the molex, then into the ground and 12v lines, then turn it on and VROOOOM. air.

BoB NaPaLm

I have one of them power adapters that I connected my fans up to. This allowed me to see how they sounded at 12v, 9v, 7v etc.

some messing about with wires is required but you could just stick a molex or 3pin on the ends of the adapter and use it as a test bed if you get through loads of fans.