• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any advantage to using 1 P4 Xeon processor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

It's just an argument between my friend and I. He feels if he spent the money(like he had it :D) to buy only one P4 Xeon processor, it would be better by itself than a Northwood P4 processor. Is it true? Or is there no purpose in getting the Xeon if you are only going to use one?

Thanks

Tipycol

funnyperson1

Edward2 said:
Personally I am not impressed with the P4 Xeon processors at all. I had the Folding client running on a 1.7 GHz P4 Xeon at work for a while, and it was slower than a [email protected] GHz Celeron Tualatin. Maybe this was just a fluke, but it was definitely slower.

no fluke...P4 core sucks at straight fpu.....but with the new Gromacs core im sure that the 1.7xeon would get pretty close to the celly cuz of sse2

OP
T

Tipycol

Even though P4's aren't good at crunching or folding, would a Xeon be better than a normal P4?

JaY_III

Senior of BX
P4 XEON is the EXACT same as a P4 except is can run in SMP and CAN have more L2 cahce

oh and it has hyper-threding already in the Northwood core versions.

OP
T

Tipycol

jay said:
P4 XEON is the EXACT same as a P4 except is can run in SMP and CAN have more L2 cahce

oh and it has hyper-threding already in the Northwood core versions.

K Thanks (Guess I win the argument :D)