• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there more success with overclocking with onboard sound than having a PCI souncard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkilla74

is there more success with overclocking with onboard sound than having a PCI souncard

I read that alot of people who have the SB live or audigy dont have alot of success with overclocking...... Is this true... Can i see some success storys??? Would i be better of going with on board sound, less chances of something running out of spec???

maxima88

I'm using my onboard sound and have also wondered if it would help my o/c by getting a separate sound card.

Some feedback please.

DaveSauce

I would assume that by having onboard sound, OCing would be easier. Then again, if you have a PCI sound card, you would be able to OC further if your mobo supports locking/changing the PCI bus.....something you couldn't do with onboard sound....which might lead to premature failure due to the sound card being OCed too far...

interesting question.

Rav

It used to be a problem with older integrated sound. Not so much hurting the OC, but people got a lot of crackling in their sound. My old Athlon system has a ISA SB16 that crackles at 101 FSB, but my nforce is fine at 166 FSB. In my main machine my SB Live has been good up to 151, which is my limit because of mobo. Just my experiences.

-Rav

PCphreak

Re: is there more success with overclocking with onboard sound than having a PCI souncard

jkilla74 said:
I read that alot of people who have the SB live or audigy dont have alot of success with overclocking...... Is this true... Can i see some success storys??? Would i be better of going with on board sound, less chances of something running out of spec???

On board sound still routes through the PCI bus, the same as having an Audigy in a PCI slot would. Both are just as susceptible to the PCI bus running our of spec. No pieces of hardware are alike, so it's impossible to say which you will have better luck with as far as o/c abililty is concerned.
I have an Audigy, and I've ran the PCI bus out of spec as high as 44 MHz. No problems I could speak of....but you can't base my experiance as proof all Audigy's will be perfectly fine with 11 MHz over spec. This same rule will also apply with anything onboard.

-PC