• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good air OC for a Q6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steve The Egg

Registered

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=339374

jpegsuperpi123274185rp8.jpg

I want a higher FSB. Help me. My goal is 4.3GHz. Setting the bar high :)

EDIT: It crashed about 45 seconds after I got all my screenies and validations.

fallengt

Registered
You intend to run 24/7 ??
Most q6600 cant get that high w/o reasonable Vcore . What your NB ,VTT votlage setting at ?And also your RAM, what're you using ? More info please.

And your temp , I doubt it is under 75*C full load with air ..

OP
S

Steve The Egg

Registered
You intend to run 24/7 ??
Most q6600 cant get that high w/o reasonable Vcore . What your NB ,VTT votlage setting at ?And also your RAM, what're you using ? More info please.

And your temp , I doubt it is under 75*C full load with air ..

Oh hell naw. I just wanted to see how high it could go for a benchmark.

Don't hurt me for this...
CPU vCore- 1.675 or 1.65 :/ I didn't know it was bad at the time. And I've run this CPU before with out a heatsink. And I kept wondering why it was crashing...oh how stupid I was.

RAM- Crucial Ballistix PC800 5-5-5-15 2.2v

NB- 1.4

VTT-?????? I dunno what that is

Load- Didn't bother.

Motherboard- ASUS P5K-E/Wi-Fi AP

jordon

Wait, you turned a your board on, with no heatsink on the cpu ? Without a heatsink, a q6600 would heat up to like 100c in like 2 seconds lol

MooMasster716

What Heatsink are you using? If your just doing suicide run benchmarks then your temps look fine but I really doubt you'll be any where near stable at that speed without some top secret air cooling.

OP
S

Steve The Egg

Registered
Water cooling! :D
Hopefully later :) I do want to get a dice/Ln2 pot and mess around with that though. Any idea where to buy it? I know it'll have to be custom made more than likely.

take off the heatsink and set 1.8v vcore
9 multiplier
500mhz fsb

do us all a favour and film it

Cute.
I was stupid back then, and I didn't know what I was doing. I'm trying to learn, so try and help me out please?

This is a suicide run for CPU-Z and SuperPi 1M. I do want to get it stable enough to run 3D Mark06, SuperPi 32M, etc.

What's VTT and do I need to increase it?
Also what strap to FSB?
And I've seem to hit a wall at about 1800 MHz with the front side bus. And even with the vdroop pencil mod on my Asus P5K-E WIFI/AP the vdroop is still ridiculous. I think my motherboard might be holding me back. :/

I have a TRUE 120 and I've lapped both the HS and the CPU all in an Antec 900 case vertically with all fans on high and the side panel off.

What sort of voltages do I need to change. To get that high I set my RAM (Ballistix PC800) to 5-5-5-15 2.2v which is stock. I wanted to make sure it was set on that instead of leaving it on Auto. NB was 1.4v and CPU was 1.65v (vCore). C1E is off btw. Are there any other settings to mess around with?

Last edited:

KillrBuckeye

My guess is that if you run 4 small FFT threads in Prime95 with your current settings, your CPU will start to throttle and maybe even shut down within 10 minutes. I don't think there's any way you'll make that overclock stable on air cooling.

Diddyu

12 seconds isnt long enough for a viable test, run P95 for 24 hours, and if you can do that without crashing, youre good. You'll probably end up with 3.8 Ghz at best without going phase cooling ect.

OP
S

Steve The Egg

Registered
12 seconds isnt long enough for a viable test, run P95 for 24 hours, and if you can do that without crashing, youre good. You'll probably end up with 3.8 Ghz at best without going phase cooling ect.

I don't want to use this as a 24/7 OC. I'm already happy with 3.6GHz. I wanted to push it as far as it can go for benching.

Diddyu

Well if you want to run 3dmark ect, 12 seconds isnt gonna get anywhere near the heat you'll hit. You better have thermal managment on though ;)

OP
S

Steve The Egg

Registered
Well if you want to run 3dmark ect, 12 seconds isnt gonna get anywhere near the heat you'll hit. You better have thermal managment on though ;)

Alright, noob moment. Where is that an option? and what does it do besides....manage heat.