• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good benchmark score on my WD SE 80GIG 8MB CACHE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Th0r

I posted a very similar thread a few weeks ago when i got a score of 19000...people where telling me that, that score is fine to the rig i have in my sig....so i been tweaking my settings in the WD ultitlity drive to find out that my drive was set on ATA 66 when all the applications on my machine have been telling me it was on ATA 100...

So i enabled the ATA 100 settings and did a retest...here is my results

www.stae.co.uk/bench.jpg

here is the full info from the results

-----------------------------------------------------------

SiSoftware Sandra

Test Status
SMP Test : No
Total Test Threads : 1
SMT Test : No
Dynamic MP/MT Load Balance : No
Processor Affinity : No
Windows Disk Cache Used : No
Use Overlapped I/O : Yes
Command Queue Depth : 4 command(s)
Test File Size : 255MB
File Server Optimised : No

Benchmark Breakdown
Buffered Read : 84 MB/s
Sequential Read : 33 MB/s
Random Read : 6 MB/s
Buffered Write : 73 MB/s
Sequential Write : 43 MB/s
Random Write : 15 MB/s
Average Access Time : 8 ms (estimated)

Drive
Drive Class : Fixed
Total Space : 64.9GB
Free Space : 52.1GB, 80%

Performance Tips
Notice 5008 : To change benchmarks, click Options.
Notice 5004 : Synthetic benchmark. May not tally with 'real-life' performance.
Notice 5006 : Only compare the results with ones obtained using the same version!
Tip 5202 : Use cache on to measure Windows performance.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.

----------------------------------------------------------------

tell me what u think...

PS my drive is partitioned if u wondering why it is 64 gigs...

First time I've ever benched my WD 80GB SE, let's see how it goes (never realized Sandra had a HD bench)!

*starts test*
*waits*
Drive Index: 27814

Oooooo.... I knew I liked the SE for some reason.... :)
JigPu

with just one of my WD800JB drives, it scores about 31xxx in Sandra, in Raid 0 it scores about 46xxx on the XP partition, and about 54xxx in the other partitions..

Excelsior said:
Well my computer is at stock settings..... i will have to get RAID...should be a big upgrade...but i don't have any spare PCI ports :(

u should sell your MB and all the PCIs like sound card, NIC. then get nforce2 board that comes with good onboard sound and lan. so u got space for ur scsi raid card.. without spending too much!

like epox 8rda+ for $110, after u sold ur current mb and sound card... u basicly upgrade for free or little $$ back.

Excelsior said:
What other benchmark programs is there?

Well, there's HDTach, but you have to pay to use it. IMO, it's not really worth it. As long as you have a relatively recent HDD, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between different IDE drives (and yes, this includes you RAID 0 folks ;) ). In fact, I would argue that with most daily tasks, you won't even be able to tell the difference between a 15k SCSI drive and a 7200 IDE drive w/ 2mb cache.

Excelsior said:
Well i play CS alot and i really depend on fast stuff.....

Games are generally one of those things that are probably *LEAST* effected by hdd performance. You'll save a few milliseconds on map loadups but that's about it. Stuff like multiple disk access requests (servers, for example); live streaming; and *true* multitasking are some of the things that really benefit from a high-end hdd setup.

Back