• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good deal? 2560x1440 27 inch monitor 144Hz @$400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For some reason I can't seem to ever click those links, I just get an insufficient privileges error.

I'm looking at Monitors too recently, more so for a 4k. Am I just going to have to accept the fact that I'll have to spend 600+ for a 144Hz 1ms GSYNC/Freesync 27"+ monitor? Or is there light at the end of the tunnel and around Christmas there might be some good deals? I saw a Samsung for 400 the other day, but it's only 60Hz :-/

Edit: I should also mention that I have yet to really find straight answers on this topic, most people seem to be speculating on what price for the performance of the monitor is worth, so I guess it's going to come down to what will make you happy in the end. If I find any answers as to "whats a good deal for 2k/4k monitors" I'll let you know.

Long version.

[url]http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/773876-27-quot-2560x1440-144Hz-G-SYNC-Dell-S2716DG-LCD-Monitor[/url]

*had to noparse to stop the url from being cut.

Last edited:
TechWizard, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

:(

It is For Sale thread in our classifieds section which has a post count minimum to access. You will be able to see that section once you hit 100 posts. You can find that out (and more) in our rules! :)

Here is a guide I found on the web: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor-2016/

For reference a 2K monitor is 2048x1080. I don't care what newegg.com calls it. :p
(Yes this is a personal crusade on these forums to have people get it right! :rofl:)
reso.jpg

Last edited:
Well that answers a lot of questions I had about resolutions. So I assume if I want to go with a solid standard I should look for UHD-1 (3840 x 2160). There isn't that much of a difference between 1080 and 2k is there? Or is the chart just deceiving?

I'm sure I'll hit 100 posts soon enough :D

Nearly all 4K monitors say 4K UHD on them. You will be hard pressed to find any that are true 2K/4K in the wild. Nope. There isn't much of a difference.... 1920x1080 and 2048x1080 are not deceiving you.

I suppose I could have looked at the pixel ratio myself. Man, I am overlooking some obvious things lately. I assumed because the price on some 2K monitors is vastly higher than most 1080's that there was more to it until you posted that diagram.

I have never seen a 2K monitor... you?

To date, 2K has primarily been used for projection within movie theaters, which require a slightly different aspect ratio from consumer HDTVs and computer monitors.

While consumer displays use a 16:9 aspect ratio (or 1.777:1 if converted to the lowest common denominator), the Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI) backed by the major Hollywood studios uses a 17:9 aspect ratio (approximately 1.85:1) that better aligns with several of 35mm and 70mm films formats used to shoot and project movies.

Hey, thank you very much for the 144hz link. A few of the links were broken, but it's still a good way to compare specs. I'm having a very tough time finding a monitor with the specifications I'm looking for at a reasonable price.

I'd like:
- 27'' +
- <3 ms g2g
- >100hz
- gsync
- 2560 x 1440 or better resolution
- ips panel

Pretty much I've found it's like pick 4 of those features for $400, OR pick 5 of those features for $600+. :(

I have never seen a 2K monitor... you?

No, not now that you've pointed out that what Newegg classifies as 2K is 2560 x 1440 and 3440 x 1440 as WQHD. It's been a long week, I never actually realized Newegg listed all these resolutions as "2K". Thanks for leading my blind self through this mess.

Hey, thank you very much for the 144hz link. A few of the links were broken, but it's still a good way to compare specs. I'm having a very tough time finding a monitor with the specifications I'm looking for at a reasonable price.

I'd like:
- 27'' +
- <3 ms g2g
- >100hz
- gsync
- 2560 x 1440 or better resolution
- ips panel

Pretty much I've found it's like pick 4 of those features for $400, OR pick 5 of those features for $600+. :(
I went to newegg.com and sorted it..........
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...n=ips monitor&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=90

This doesn't include the response time, but that is easily determined (look it up), and really not a big deal under 8ms or so last I read.

Ya, you have to be careful with newegg's sorting system. Choosing 4ms-5ms caused it to exclude all of the 1ms-3ms monitors

A few of the links were broken, but it's still a good way to compare specs.

They are not broken, you are under 100 posts. I was unaware of the restriction when I replied.

I recently pick up a Asus PG279Q. It is amazing but more money than you are looking at.

It seems like it will be much cheaper to get a television with a good response time.
This Samsung is 43 inches with 4k resolution for $499 (the same price of a 27 inch monitor)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1XC3Y30586

I looked at that Samsung before I bought my 43" LG 43UH6100. Both aren't "great" when viewing small black text on a red background, but the LG unit was noticeably better than the Samsung. It's 4096x2160 at 60Hz 4:4:4

Unlike my old Samsung, LG doesn't arbitrarily remove apps and re-arrange my apps Icons whenever they feel like it. Another benefit is that, because the LG uses widely-spaced "feet" you can put a DVD player (I use a Sony BD Player) under the TV in between them so it doesn't take as much desk real estate.

Damn, hmmm. Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately it seems that everything sucks. I guess I'll wait a month and see if the market improves.

That LG monitor is UHD, so its 3840x2160 isn't it?

Unfortunately it seems that everything sucks. I guess I'll wait a month and see if the market improves.
Just buy. Seriously. You are never going to be happy, LOL! And things wont change in a month.

Back