• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good selection for an HTPC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

HTPC or just a playback machine?

G41 IIRC supports DXVA so if your HD videos are properly encoded, they will play just fine. Blu-Ray VC1 I think follows the same format so should be good to go.

If you want a full HTPC might want to beef up the processor though or go with a discrete card that can handle GPGPU duties for encoding (will need to research it htough, last I tried was 49850 and 8800s and GPU encoding locked like crap OR was slower than an AMD quad at doing, (IE was fast and crappy or goodbut slower) . At the very least get yourself a hardware based tv tuner.

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

Without a doubt will be getting a hardware tuner, maybe a tunercard if decent ones come out soone. Will be using this Machine as a full HTPC (tv, DVR, DIVX, WMC, BLU-Ray, MUSIC etc)
an e6600 is too weak to handle HTPC duties!?

Neuromancer

To handle anything you can throw at it? pretty easy to choke a E6600. Specially if you do any DVDripping.

OP
Bageland2000

Bageland2000

You mean encoding, right? Ripping is just copying to a hard drive or whatever. Don't need CPU power for that.

Agreed. As I understand it ripping would be when I create a DVD image of a movie. Encoding would be creating a DIVX file from that image. I can do that powerhouse work on my main rig no problem. But for realtime playback it shouldn't be a problem correct? And just to be clear a e6600 is a C2D right?

ratbuddy

Agreed. As I understand it ripping would be when I create a DVD image of a movie. Encoding would be creating a DIVX file from that image. I can do that powerhouse work on my main rig no problem. But for realtime playback it shouldn't be a problem correct? And just to be clear a e6600 is a C2D right?

The processor in my HTPC is a little weaker than an E6600 (I think) and it works just fine playing back Blurays.

Yes, E6600 is a C2D.