• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this an okay-ish build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leizce

How is my first build? It's going to be used for multiple purposes, but gaming is the main focus. More specifically, is the GPU I have listed a good decision? I'm pretty unsure about it and figured I should get some second opinions. Also, what would be the first thing I should look at upgrading from my list?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: 1 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 Memory
SSD: (for OS, maybe my favorite game as well) Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 2GB ITX Compact Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case
I plan to upgrade it to a liquid cooling system at some point, but for now I'm just gonna roll with a Cooler Master Hyper T4 CPU Cooler (4 Direct Contact Heatpipes)

Everything listed above is pretty much hitting my max budget.
Oh and I'll probs just get windows 10. I have the free update from windows 7 on my sad little laptop, and for the most part I have no problem with it.

1) The CPU is locked, just use the stock cooler, it comes with the CPU.
2) Get two RAM sticks, not one. You want to run dual channel. (2x4GB instead of 1x8GB)
3) The GPU depends on what resolution you're running.

What is your budget? There are a number of upgrades we might suggest if you an afford it. Higher speed RAM might be one that you should consider that will cost little more than what you are paying for the 1600 mhz. It will also have a minimal impact on your gaming experience but might give benefits in other kinds of computing that involve compression/decompression of files or rendering.

As suggested, with no OC save the money for the cooler. That's around the price difference between the R9 380 and a RX 480 4GB card. The 480 trounces the 380 with authority and conviction for an extra $25. :) If you only intend to put one game and the OS on the SSD, a 120 GB SSD might suffice, freeing up some RAM money.

Idk if you care about aesthetics, But there is no need to spend a lot on a case if you dont.
Water cooling for that CPU is a waste of money cause its a locked CPU, And as people above me said, Use the stock cooler its good enough for that CPU. Go for a RX480 if you can or a used GTX970/R9 290x if you can find one that is cheaper than RX480.

What games are you going to play? How much life time do you expect from this system?

Tell us so we can help you better.

1) The CPU is locked, just use the stock cooler, it comes with the CPU.
2) Get two RAM sticks, not one. You want to run dual channel. (2x4GB instead of 1x8GB)
3) The GPU depends on what resolution you're running.
This. People can suggest GPUs until they are blue in the face but until we know what resolution you are gaming on (we all assume 1080p), we cannot properly size it for you.

Also, how are you going to get W10 from your 'sad little laptop' to your new desktop? Not sure W10 will activate properly as it is tied to the hardware.

Also, how are you going to get W10 from your 'sad little laptop' to your new desktop? Not sure W10 will activate properly as it is tied to the hardware.

It won't.

Not sure but I think he means he tried win 10 on his laptop and didnt have any problems with it?

Back