• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this any good. 2x amd 3000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gaza

do you think i should build a smp with amd 3000+??? will it be ok spead wise??? was thinking of going for the k7d MB is that a good choice??

OR should i be looking at Opteron yes i know it would be a lot of money, but still.. how would they do on games.. any help would be nice thanks..

DayUSeX

well SMP really isnt ment to be a "gaming" machine. As far as the k7d that is pretty much THE choice for an SMP amd machine. Rember you are going to need to get registered ram that can be costly. As for opertons, unless you NEED them i wouldnt do them. Seeing as you dont exactly need the system for productivity, i wouldnt go operton. As for building the dual 3000+ as long as you can do the l5 mod you should be fine.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
You don't *need* registered RAM. I've been running 100% stable with my K7D on Windows and Linux for the last 18 months with regular, plain jane Crucial PC2100. However... I'm limited to using the first two slots, so if you want expandability (up to 4 GB I think) you'll want to use registered RAM. If you just want to get the system up and running and have a spare PC2100 stick laying around, it should be just fine.

DaveB

Dunno if the K7D could handle XP3000s. I ran dual L5-modded XP2600/266s in mine at 2.3 GHz. With a Radeon 9800 Pro running at 420/371 it scored about 5600 in 3DMark03 which isn't bad. Just for comparison to single CPU setups, my XP2500 @ 2.25 GHz did 6000, my P4 2.6C @ 3.3 GHz did 6500, and my current A64 3200+ @ 2.26 GHz does 6700. (All these tests were also run with a Radeon 9800 Pro) So, it'll provide decent gaming performance but you shouldn't go duallie for that reason. A high-end AMD or Intel single CPU rig will do much better. But, if there are other reasons you need/want a duallie, you'll get good enough gaming performance.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
There seams to be a big concern as to the speed of a dual system when gaming. I as an owner of duals and single systems will share this with yoo.

FPS is mostly dependant on the Video card.And after 36 frames per second the human eye is unable to see any difference. So in a dual if you game make sure you budget for a high end video card like an All in Wonder this way you not only get fast frame rates but the ability to input video from several different sources.

Also Raw speed differences between a dual 1800 and a single 1800 system is almost impossible to feel or see.However if you game and encode a video on the dual it will be silky smooth, where as the single will act like it is locking up and freezing a lot of the time.Speed is important however raw torque often is an issue that a single processor has no ability to produce and that causes slowdowns that a dual prevents because it has the resorces available to deal with several tasks at one time.

Example, many times people have an App that will lock up. When it locks it will almost always create processor usage of 100% on a single system forcing the old controll alt delete reboot. On a dual you will find that any locking App can be easily terminated from the task manager with out the need to reboot. This and a lot of other issues we computer users encounter are much much easier to deal with on the dual processor systems..........

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
I agree with Diehrd completely as far as the functionality of a dually. I have had my dual Barton K7D rig for about six months and I don't see myself running a single cpu rig as my main computer anytime soon.

Two days ago I had two instances of folding, QCD player puming out tunes, I was burning a CD, AND playing DC online with Ventrillo (voice connection) all at the same time.

Sure it's overkill, but computers/overclocking is our hobby (and my job) so why not go huge if you can do it without spending your rent money.

Wedo

dguy6789

36 FPS??!! LMAO. Not to be rude, but i can tell a HUGE difference between 36 and 60 fps. I can tell a difference between 60 and 100. I can play a game, estimate it's fps, and be very close when i look at the counters. The human EYE has NO limit on fps, as this has been proven. THe higher FPS your eye gets used to, the more fps it wants. 30 used to be smooth. Now everytime i see a movie, im like uggg that is so choppy, same with gamin on old pcs. DO not state things you dont know about, but im simply informing you all. Good day

Deathknight

Only thing I have ever found helpful running smp while gaming was the possibility of running a dedicated server process and gaming off of the same rig. Both processors are not going to be used in a single threaded app (like almost all games are). Your video card is going to play the biggest role in the speed of your gaming machine. Also the K7D Master cannot reach anywhere near the FSB of a good single processor ocing motherboard, which is also a big hit on game performance. The K7D Master is the best ocing amd dually board and still it has its limitations. There is not a vast amount of voltage or fsb options, like some of the nicer nforce2 boards.

The chipset and motherboard are just not really intended or all that great for gaming on. Sure you CAN game on there, and the machine can do an admirable job, its just not state of the art speed. Now for pretty much any other activity aside from gaming I would say that a dually rig is awesome(unless you intend on running processes in the background while you game, in which case you would be using both processors).

My solution to this is 1 dedicated gaming rig which is a single processor rig that is heavily oced, and 1 dually rig for all other activities (including work).

1 last thing regarding gaming and the K7D Master. I consider the current ATI cards to be the best video cards for current and future games, due to their superior dx9 implementation. I have seen alot of people that have had alot of issues running ATI video cards on their K7D (an issue that has me concerned since my current 9700 pro is going to be handed down to my dually rig when I upgrade my gaming rig). Just something else to think about if gaming is your main concern.

aftermath

i have a 9800 pro and no problems every thing i do is playable and my 17" moniter (tops out at 1600 * 1280 @ 75/60 Hz?? )
its playable on every game ive played (some slow down on doom3 with them fire people.) q3 maxed out at 1280 * 1024 fps of 120 ish and ut at 1280 * 1024 (duno comand to get the fps) with antialising on are all playable. iv played unreal xmp demo at highest setings fine.
Only problem is the vidio output some times corupts if my system fans are on too slow. (i have a 92 mm on the side of the case.)

id rather use my dual than a single proc rig as id see no major playability improvments (friend says that my rig is a q3 performance inharncing drug) however now ive gone dual i dont get those auto and quick save lags any more.

i run t 1280 *1024 cos i like 85 hz any thing less and i get a head ace so i can relate to the fact that u can tell the diffrence between 30 and 60

Last edited:

Registered
I've heard you guy's mention "folding" quite afew times now.
What is it?

zabomb4163

444 said:
I've heard you guy's mention "folding" quite afew times now.
What is it?

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/

What does [email protected] do? [email protected] is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

Results from [email protected] simulations of villin

How can you help? You can help our project by downloading and running our client software. Our algorithms are designed such that for every computer that joins the project, we get a commensurate increase in simulation speed.

bRiCe

diehrd said:
There seams to be a big concern as to the speed of a dual system when gaming. I as an owner of duals and single systems will share this with yoo.

FPS is mostly dependant on the Video card.And after 36 frames per second the human eye is unable to see any difference.

not trying to knit pick a post or anything, but the human eye can see much more than 36fps. Its also not like there is a specific number of fps like 36 exactly or something either. Humans are all different and there may be poeple who see fewer than 40fps, but the normal person can see between 60-75fps and it differs from person to person. I know that i can personally see a difference at about 65fps if its a constant fps. If i go from 100fps down to 85 fps tho, i can notice a HUGE difference because constant fps is much smoother than varied fps. I play tons of counter-strike for caleague.com and am cal-premier (in the top 70ish american cs teams) which is good considering that there are about 4000 teams on caleague.com for counterstrike, so i know whats up with gaming and fps and stuff. These things are all my language.

zabomb4163

bRiCe said:

not trying to knit pick a post or anything, but the human eye can see much more than 36fps. Its also not like there is a specific number of fps like 36 exactly or something either. Humans are all different and there may be poeple who see fewer than 40fps, but the normal person can see between 60-75fps and it differs from person to person. I know that i can personally see a difference at about 65fps if its a constant fps. If i go from 100fps down to 85 fps tho, i can notice a HUGE difference because constant fps is much smoother than varied fps. I play tons of counter-strike for caleague.com and am cal-premier (in the top 70ish american cs teams) which is good considering that there are about 4000 teams on caleague.com for counterstrike, so i know whats up with gaming and fps and stuff. These things are all my language.

Your both incorrect. read this article. its very informative about the way the human eye interprets motion.
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

please do not feel offended by my responce. before doing research on the subject, i likewise thought of the human eye like a camera.