• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this CPU and Engeneering Sample?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celemine1Gig

Hi there,

I just bought an old intel P3 600 Slot1 Katmai CPU for cheap, to sell it on eBay for about twice the price :D (well I'm a poor little student and that's the easiest way to make money):D

Well, I didn't bother much about the CPU Code, because I didn't buy the CPU to overclock it(it's a Katmai, so what's overclocking:D).

Well, but the guy, I bought the CPU from, told me the Code on the CPU was:

QD63ES/80525PZ600512

So is this CPU an Engeneering Sample! And if yes, what would you do with it???

Options:

1)Well I could either keep it and test the FSB on my BX-System with it

2)or I could sel it for more than the "normal" price(perhaps three times the price that I paid), but that's rather utopian.

3)I could write Intel about it, and hope that I could trade that CPU for a better Non-ES-one! Perhaps a new cD0-stepping Coppermine P3 with 133 MHz FSB which can be used for FSB testing on both of my systems.

What would you do?

Thx in advance

Regards

Ingo;)

yep the ES in QD63ES stands for engineering sample.
i would get rid of it until i at least had a chance to test the puppy out. they're not necessarily better at overclocking, but the ability to lower the multiplier means you can usually get some wicked FSB rates.

Celemine1Gig said:

3)I could write Intel about it, and hope that I could trade that CPU for a better Non-ES-one! Perhaps a new cD0-stepping Coppermine P3 with 133 MHz FSB which can be used for FSB testing on both of my systems.

What would you do?

Thx in advance

Regards

Ingo;)

The CPU is the property of Intel, thats all I'm going to say about that.

I know, I know, but I bought it absolutely legal. I can prove that. I didn't even know that it was an ES, when I bought it!

So if I talk to them about it and if I give them the CPU they'll have to give me a replacement!
That's my opinion!

Regards

Ingo

i'd keep it just for the coolness factor of an unlocked Intel CPU
I have an Unlocked P2 350 (non ES) and thats a gem....

So i ask why would you wana give your away for gem?
Low multiplier insaine FSB :D

No, no , no. Am I crazy?

I'll keep it some time for testing, that's for sure, BUT, as it's only a Slot1 CPU, I can only test my BX-system with it(and at the moment my bx system is fsb limited to 140 MHz, because the BE6-II that I got must be one of the worst BE6-IIs ever produced).

So I plan on testing a bit with the CPU and afterwards I will contact Intel and ask what chip I'll get as an replacement if I gave them the P3 600 ES back. And as I said, they'll have to give me a replacement, because I can prove that I got the CPU in an absultely legal way.;)

Celemine1Gig said:
No, no , no. Am I crazy?

I'll keep it some time for testing, that's for sure, BUT, as it's only a Slot1 CPU, I can only test my BX-system with it(and at the moment my bx system is fsb limited to 140 MHz, because the BE6-II that I got must be one of the worst BE6-IIs ever produced).

140FSB aint that bad i think...
my BF6 (BE6-II w/o RAID) only hits 138....

How many sticks of RAM do you have in the system when hitting 140FSB?

I have one stick of MCI PC150 CL2 RAM in there and that RAM can run 166 MHz with 2-2-2 5/7 timings in my other setup! It's definately the board, as I also tested the Graphics card and it isn't causing the failure either. So it's just the board that isn't of good quality.

yeah, poor you, a board that is ONLY rated for 100FSB runs at 140FSB, 40% faster than rated :D

i wish i could get some more speed out of my board too.... but what are you gona do. Its done a great job for all the crap i have thrown at it

Well, I'll just buy another one AND I hope that one will be better.

You must understand. The first BX-board that I had was a Abit BF6 that could do 160 MHz FSB! I sold it because I wanted a Tualatin and unfortuately the BX-Mod wasn't commonly known at that time(perhaps in Japan a few people worked on it at that time). I wish I had kept it. I have a second BE6-II V.2.0 Raid already lying around here, but it needs a repair. Nearly all caps are bad on that board. I hope that if I fixed it, it'll do 160 MHz FSB+!;)

interesting.... 160FSB eh?
i have had to replace 3 caps on my board already....
when the 1st 3 went, only my P2 worked, my Coppermine didnt, i thought I killed the CPU at 1st.

i might just try replacing all of them. i was thinking about it before, but never did get around to do it.

wheels are turning in my head again

Celemine1Gig said:
I know, I know, but I bought it absolutely legal. I can prove that. I didn't even know that it was an ES, when I bought it!

So if I talk to them about it and if I give them the CPU they'll have to give me a replacement!
That's my opinion!

Regards

Ingo

That's not how it works though. As a buyer you have to verify that the merchandise is legal. If you buy stolen goods it can be taken away from you without compensation AFAIK.

On the other hand, it wouldn't exactly be terrific PR on teh part of Intel to seize it without some sort of compensation.

I would think that if you're just honest and explain the situation, they would be willing to deal. And I doubt that they would send their legal army after a slot 1 PIII .... -- Paul

It's a pre-production sample of a chip that isn't intended for sale; it's made for internal testing purposes. An important feature: as it's not for the public, there's no need for the standard multiplier lock. These are the only unlocked Intel chips (beyond PII) on the market.

-- Paul

Does it say "intel confidential" on the chip?
Intel will not care about this chip being out as it is very old technology.
ES is not neccassarily pre- production employees get ES chips even after product has been released and they are not only for internal testing. They are also given out to developers, benchmarkers and computer companies. :)
Just a bit of clarification.

Back