• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this easily fixed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Murp

Registered
Ok I think my ThermalTake Big Typhoon was tightened too much. Made the computer stop turning on. So I sent my brand new ASUS board back to ASUS to see if they'd cover it with teh warranty. They didn't. They sent back this picture saying that I'd have to pay $40 for damaged pins and that if I don't respond in 2 days or turn down the repair service, it'll be sent back to me.

pindamage.jpg

Judging from the picture, it looks like the pins are only bent and that I could take a small flat head screw driver or pliers and bring'em back up again.

Whatcha think? Should I pay $40 or fix it myself?

hUMANbEATbOX

Contributing Member
if you are going to try to fix it, use a mechanical pencil with no lead in it. slip the tip of it over the bent pin, and straighten away. be sure not to bend back and forth at all, or it will snap off.

i've done this a few times on CPU'S, never had to attemp it on a 775 socket.

GL!

batboy

Senior Moment
There are a whole bunch of those pins and they are very tiny and packed in close together. I've straightened socket 478 pins before, but not sure I'd want to tackle that job, although $40 sounds sort of like a lot.

jcw122

I'd pay the 40, from what I'm seeing from this very crappy looking image, the pins are ALL completely bent @ a 90 degree angle, and all in the same direction. I'd say there's a big chance of one of the pins breaking off if u try to correct it.

Next, this doesn't look like a CPU to me....that's the CPU right? Or are those pins stuck in the socket? I'm really confused w/ this.

CoreGamer

jcw122 said:
I'd pay the 40, from what I'm seeing from this very crappy looking image, the pins are ALL completely bent @ a 90 degree angle, and all in the same direction. I'd say there's a big chance of one of the pins breaking off if u try to correct it.

Next, this doesn't look like a CPU to me....that's the CPU right? Or are those pins stuck in the socket? I'm really confused w/ this.
Dude....thats an LGA 775 Socket....775 CPU'sare pinless :-/

BigStan

IMHO, pay the $40. You'll never get them straight. They are going to replace the socket. Since it ihas been stressed by over tightening the typhon, you can't know what other pbs might show up in the future. Just let them replace it.

crimedog

i've bent and straighted many pins, do not pay them $40

of course there's no guarantee that's the only thing wrong with your board. if you know it's the pins then hell yeah do it yourself. i'm shocked at anyone telling you not to.

OP
Murp

Murp

Registered
Hmmm ok I guess I'll pay the $40. I too am worried that might not be all that's wrong with it. I wish that warranty would cover more though...

Thanks to all for your help and input.

stang8118

Murp said:
Hmmm ok I guess I'll pay the $40. I too am worried that might not be all that's wrong with it. I wish that warranty would cover more though...

Thanks to all for your help and input.

Why would they cover that though?? Wasn't there fault lol...

After seeing those pins i would probably pay the $40 myself... 775 pins is alot of little pins IMO, if it was skt A or 478 i would say do it yourself.

d94

$30 a phone
godman had the same thing happen..xcept it wasnt' an asus
pm him, he'll tell ya how he fixed it :)

Know Nuttin

exactly how tight did you attach the heatsink? You would have had to bend the T-Bar quite a bit to get that much pressure onto the CPU, to bend the pins. Or so I would think.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
I bent pins on my 939 and corrected it with a credit card.I doubt those pins are any different to fix.But as they have it in there possesion I would just pay 40.00 and have it done,If you have the 40.00 to spare. .

OP
Murp

Murp

Registered
Yeah I guess I did tighten it a lot. Sometimes I don't know my own strength... :p

crimedog

i'm fairly certain that heatsink mounting strength won't bend pins. when mounting my (heavy) copper dry ice tube to the board i put a ton of force with no ill effects.

diehrd said:
I bent pins on my 939 and corrected it with a credit card.I doubt those pins are any different to fix.But as they have it in there possesion I would just pay 40.00 and have it done,If you have the 40.00 to spare. .

these pins are... special.

RangerXLT8

I was in this exact same situation, and they will send it back to you if you don't pay. Asus tech support is the worst, ask to speak to their supervisor.

I guarantee you that you did not do that by having the heatsink bolted on too tight. as long as the processor is seated right, those pins are not going to bend. I damaged mine while I was inserting the plactic socket cap to be sent back for RMA, so it happened after my board was already dead, but Asus didn't give a sh*t.

And the b*tch is, they won't diagnose\fix the board unless you pay to have the socket fixed. I bent some pins on my P5AD2-E and the corner of a razor blade to bend them back into position, the proc\board actually worked ok witht he bent pins, it's jsut I wanted to bend them back to their exact spots. Those pins in that pic look ok, you could probably buckle down a cpu in there and it would work fine, trust me.

Last edited:
OP
Murp

Murp

Registered
It wouldn't work, that's why I sent it in. They are telling me it's not working cuz of the pins. What you say though about bending the pins when putting the cap back on could be accurate though. Something about the way that cover went in didn't sit right with me. Ah well, they've got their money. It better get fixed.

RangerXLT8

Murp said:
It wouldn't work, that's why I sent it in. They are telling me it's not working cuz of the pins. What you say though about bending the pins when putting the cap back on could be accurate though. Something about the way that cover went in didn't sit right with me. Ah well, they've got their money. It better get fixed.

lol yeah they also told me it was the pins to, in the end they ended up sending me a brand spanking new retail P5WD2 Premium.

orion456

RangerXLT8 said:
lol yeah they also told me it was the pins to, in the end they ended up sending me a brand spanking new retail P5WD2 Premium.

did you have to pay the $40 then?