• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this gonna damage my laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ysfm17

Registered
Hi

Just got " ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 " with Ryzen 9 4900HS

was playing Minecraft, then just closed the lid

after a while I noticed the fan started working, I thought it was just cooling itself after the game

but for about 10 minutes it did not stop so when I went to check , it was HOT, REALLY HOT

never anything I've seen before, and battery lost about 30% in this few minutes.

it didn't wake , or respond to power button or keyboard, I had to force shut down by pressing the power bottom.

Seems it got stuck and did not sleep, and the CPU was on full load

so I let it to cool down , started it again, and everything is working good

My main concern, shall I be worry that something may damaged the CPU or any of the component?

I don't what the temperature the device reached

or am fine as it's working fine?

I know the CPU has safety rules , but will this apply if nothing is on and controlling anything?

If this is a Winderz machine, have you checked your Power Plan in the Winderz software? You may need to tweak a setting to make sure that your assumptions were valid. Lappy's get hot as they don't have as robust of cooling components due to the real estate limits of the make/model. Also, you stated it started back up after pushing the Power button, so your machine should be o.k., likely no damage, just alarming to you.

Time will tell but so far things sound encouraging because it powered back up after cooling off. As Robert17 said, check your power plan in Control Panel to make sure "What happens when I close the lid" is configured correctly. I have run into a similar problem when the power plan was configured to do nothing when the lid was closed and I didn't know it. Put the laptop in a zipped up carrying case and it got very hot.

This laptop actually runs hot under load. When windows for some reason freezes then sometimes still keeps the CPU at high power state and then sensors push the fan to spin at its max speed while the CPU heats up more than with the default power-saving plan.
The CPU itself is protected. It has a power and temperature limit and will throttle or shut down when the temp or power will be too high.
I wouldn't worry about the laptop. On the other hand, there is always a warranty.

I usually disable any actions for the closed lid in the power plan and disable turning off devices when the laptop isn't in use for some time. I still keep power-saving modes when it's on the battery.

Thank you all for your help

yes everything working fine , cpu usage , temps , everything else are normal

I checked the lid option and changed from sleep to shut down
but as i mentioned before , seems something did not work right and did not put the laptop to sleep

or maybe I will do as what woomack said, disabling it at least this will only will drain the battery but the laptop will keep working as it should

Back