• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this how you build a computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you already buy the components? If not, I would recomend you get 2 sticks of 512MB Ram instead of one so that it runs in Dual channel mode. This give more memory bandwidth and better perfomance.

Nothing goes on the floor!!! :bang head

I would also recommend getting someone over to your house that knows what they are doing to help you. That is what I did on my very first build.

>>STEP 13: Open the HDD, Unlatch the drive cage, Slide the HDD into the 5.25" Bay of Choice, Connect the ATA? Ribbon to the back of the HDD, connect the ribbon to the motherboard<<

Your HD is a SATA type and wont use the ribbon cable. You will use the thin SATA wire that comes with your motherboard. Also, be aware that Windows install wont normally recognize your SATA drive. The motherboard comes with a driver on a floppy disk which you must install. On the very first screen of Windows install, you will momentarily see "Press F6 to install raid drivers". This is the point you MUST install the driver.

sdwood said:
Also, be aware that Windows install wont normally recognize your SATA drive. The motherboard comes with a driver on a floppy disk which you must install. On the very first screen of Windows install, you will momentarily see "Press F6 to install raid drivers". This is the point you MUST install the driver.

I think this depends on the motherboard. I was installing windows on a friend's nforce3 board and I was surprised to find no floppy disk with drivers on it. I went ahead and installed windows and, to my surprise, it detected his sata hdd with no additional drivers. On my motherboard, though, you do need the drivers.

Redstone said:
I am not familiar with Rosewill so I was wondering if anyone that was, knew if it was stable and powerful enough to handle your system. A crappy PSU is crappy no matter what the wattage rating.
Again I know nothing of Rosewill so it may be a great PSU.

Your right that PSU blows...and get a better case too. Do you really want to build a $1500 system and put it a Playskool - My First Computer case? Look into Lian Li...or at least get an Antec...That PSU is gonna take a huge dump when you try to power an A64 and a 6800 GT...look into Fortron PSU's...so, thats my advice

ROTFLMAO! Great title man :)

I'd pick a better power supply, better memory, a better case, and a better heatsink (of course everything that everyone has mentioned already.)

Good luck with your first rig!

Back