• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this KVR any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TxAMD

Got a pretty good deal at $86 (2x256) dual channel pc3200 KVR. The chips read: D3208DL3T- 5A......are they decent?

slots 1 and 3 to run dual channel on an NF7-S right?

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Right now, the chips you should be looking for in KVR are either the Micron, which have the following info on the second line : MT -5B C or the Hynix with the last part of the code showing BT-D43.

The Micron are the same chips used by OCZ in their EB series and the Hynix is used in much of the PC4000 that is currently available.

The chips you have are relabeled by Kingston and could be anything...from OK to great, depending on what they used. Someone out there may have these and be able to provide you with feedback.

If you have not opened these, then you could look for the others listed above, and exchange them and get the better (or at least the "known quantity" chips) ones. It appears that, based on the price, they have MIR. All KVR has the same UPC on the box so there would be no way of knowing which pack you bought from which store. You could keep the pack with the better chips and return the pack with the unknown chips and still get them at the same great price. It is hard to beat 2 x 256 of PC4000 ram for $86.

Last edited:
OP
TxAMD

TxAMD

Ok, the second line reads 0421PT03. So I guess they arent the ones you guys look for. Flapper, they are Kingston chips. I probably wont return them, but I'll see how good the timings I can get and let you know.

flapperhead

Reefa_Madness said:
Right now, the chips you should be looking for in KVR are either the Micron, which have the following info on the second line : MT -5B C or the Hynix with the last part of the code showing BT-D43.

The Micron are the same chips used by OCZ in their EB series and the Hynix is used in much of the PC4000 that is currently available.

The chips you have are relabeled by Kingston and could be anything...from OK to great, depending on what they used. Someone out there may have these and be able to provide you with feedback.

If you have not opened these, then you could look for the others listed above, and exchange them and get the better (or at least the "known quantity" chips) ones. It appears that, based on the price, they have MIR. All KVR has the same UPC on the box so there would be no way of knowing which pack you bought from which store. You could keep the pack with the better chips and return the pack with the unknown chips and still get them at the same great price. It is hard to beat 2 x 256 of PC4000 ram for $86.

you said a mouthful guy...
txamd: if they are kingston branded youll just have to test em out and hope they are the d43 or micron that the reefa man so eloquently described

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
Posting your results will add to the database of common knowledge that is shared here and will be much appreciated, especially by those of us that keep tabs on the KVR. There are always people joining this group looking for affordable ram and the KVR is one of the best places to start looking.

Good luck with your ram.

roll+call

Aren't the timings on PC4000's a bit loose for NF7's? I wasn't even stable at 216 until I flashed with the bios I've got now (still working out high I can go with the limited vdimm.. will have to mod considering I got bh-5's :p) so seems to me pc4000's wouldn't be worthwhile if you couldn't get the higher fsb.
So thinking the micron 5b-c's would be a better choice vs. the bt-d43's.
Just curious

flapperhead

roll+call said:
Aren't the timings on PC4000's a bit loose for NF7's? I wasn't even stable at 216 until I flashed with the bios I've got now (still working out high I can go with the limited vdimm.. will have to mod considering I got bh-5's :p) so seems to me pc4000's wouldn't be worthwhile if you couldn't get the higher fsb.
Just curious

probably would..

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
roll+call said:
Just curious
Most certainly. Personally, I'd pick the Micron over the Hynix for any platform. The Micron can go past 250 with the timings loosened, and also can run using very tight timings. It's much more flexible than the Hynix is in that respect. I also just prefer low latencies to high speeds.

That's some fine memory you've got yourself, btw.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
For the record, the Micron would be my first choice of the two for the NF7 and I have posted this preference before. The only advantage that the Hynix would have, if any, over the Micron in the NF7 would be whether or not you intended to stay with stock board voltage limits or whether you intended to mod the board (or use a DDR Booster, for example) to increase your available DIMM voltage. Without mods, the Hynix will still be able to reach its full potential within the board's limits, the Micron needs more voltage to reach its full potential. The Hynix is listed by tictac on his site as one of the better choices for the NF7, and his reasoning is just that, that voltage mods are not needed to get good performance (high fsb). Is it the best choice? No...but it is still a good choice. The link is to tictac's 10 performance tips for the NF7, item #4 is ram tips, including the Hynix. I don't know about you guys, but my understanding is that he is a pretty good authority on the NF7 series boards.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/underclock/index.php?showtopic=53

The other reason for listing it is that these days, in certain parts of the country, it is nearly impossible to find either one of these, much less both of them, in KVR at places like BB or CC. If you can find either one, you would be well off getting it.

Last edited:

roll+call

Gautam said:
That's some fine memory you've got yourself, btw.
:) ya, recent ebay purchase... wasn't cheap but now i can play with the mobo to the fullest.
damn smooooth. managed to get a screenshot off at 240x9 @ 2.9V. didn't try it any higher
anyways, digressing... but bh-5 is just too sweet

roll+call

Reefa_Madness said:
I don't know about you guys, but my understanding is that he is a pretty good authority on the NF7 series boards.
Hell ya... fine bios's for the nf7. Was going to use his d23 3d-fire rev2 for the cpc disable. Link was dead so went for trats's. And that's treating me fine. If it ain't broke...

Reefa_Madness said:
The other reason for listing it is that these days, in certain parts of the country, it is nearly impossible to find either one of these, much less both of them, in KVR at places like BB or CC. If you can find either one, you would be well off getting it.
I've come across the microns locally at a local shop & at a local BestBuy. Only in 256 sticks tho.