• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this ok on a stock HSF????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grifter510

Registered
:confused:
Hi again I mad some calculation regarding my processor and ram
I got a 2.8Ghz prescott and 2 sticks of pc3200 ddr ram (512Mb total)
if I'm going to use he 5:4 ratio

cpu fsb 235 = 3290Ghz ram fsb 188 (pc3200 will be just adequate?????)

or do u recomend using the 1:1 ratio? I got a asus p4p800-E deluxe mobo

do u think this will be ok I'm overclocking to the extream just an newbie in the world of overclocking :D

Dcasole

grifter510, your 2.8 should be able to run at 3.4 with no problems if you manage the heat issues ( see my signature).

I think you are figuring out your memory MHZ wrong. Memory runs at 2 times the FSB so if you are at 235 your memory will be running at 470 which would require a 5:4 ratio.

A prescott does not start to perform untill it is overclocked so if you are going to use this memory then set it at 5:4 . You should be able to make up the loss in memory bandwith with the increase in CPU speed ( in most cases)

If you want to try to overclock here are some things you will have to do

1- Lock the PCI/AGP to 66/33( some motherboards will not let you get this number so set it as low as possible . My board will only let me get to 67/34 when the FSB is set above 200.
2- Raise the memory voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 which ever is the lowest that it will run stable.
3- Set your " Spread Spectrum" to disabled
4- Power supply - a prescott is power hungry so make sure your PSU is up to the task . I have a 430 True power which replaced a 350 watt which just was not enought.
5- Bring the FSB up slowly, try it , test it ,then raise it again.
6-Be careful of raising the Vcore on a prescott as this chip is designed with Dynamic VID which throttles the Vcore up and down according to load. Set the intial Vcore to high and you could end up with a fried chip. My Prescott is running the stock Vcore which is around 1.36 and I have been able to achieve overclocks to 3.59 stable.
7- Above all make sure you are watching your temps!! . My Prescott when first installed whould run at 60C at idle and over 70C under a load. I made the mod that is listed in my signature along with 80mm fan to this duct and now they are down to 42C at idle and 55c under an extreme load over clocked to 3.59 using the stock heat sink and fan

Good Luck

Dave

Last edited:

batboy

Senior Moment
This should be posted in the Intel CPU section. Overclocking the Prescott and stock cooling just don't mix. You will require good cooling since the Prescotts run hot. Check load temps at default speed if you don't believe me.

OP
G

grifter510

Registered
soory for that batboy if i kinda mistakenly got this thread in here sorry for it again.....
Just a newbie here and I'm getting enough info before undergoing to overclock my system I don't have a fat pocket taking it step by step and sorry again batboy

batboy

Senior Moment
No problem, dude. Everyone posts in the wrong section at least once or twice.

If you wanna overclock that Prescott bad boy, invest in better cooling. You have a good mobo and RAM, so with good cooling you should hit 3.3 to 3.4 gig without too much problem. Maybe more if you get lucky. Depends on how high it'll do before you have to increase vcore. Once you start raising the vcore on a Prescott, they really get hot.