• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this pulling air away from my rad or putting air in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

I'm talking about the first two from left to right. The last one was switched around to face the same way as the first two. Is this setup pulling air away from my rad or putting air in? It's better to pull air away right?
dscn00252ik.jpg

The fans spin clockwise right?

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
The fans have arrows on them that show rotation direction of the blades as well as which way the air flows through them. That would be the best way to check.

Or you could just power them up and put your hand over it. :p

However the way most fans work the 2 fans on the left are pulling the air through the radiator

OP
Herr Rogers

Herr Rogers

I read the fans. It says that the two from the left will be pulling air AWAY from the radiator. I REALLY want to have the air being pulled away so I think I will have all three facing like the first two in the pic. But, if I was going to make them pull, then do I want the fans to pull through the rad, or do I want the fans to pull from the rad. (i.e. you can see the fans, vs. you can't see the fans becuase they are on the other side.)

Last edited:
OP
Herr Rogers

Herr Rogers

Thanks man, nice chart. What about the pic I made though? Would you say either A (top) or B (bottom) is better?

OP
Herr Rogers

Herr Rogers

Electron Chaser said:
I would follow SBs advice on this.
His chart doesn't cover what I was asking. I now see that I need to pull air, but I don't know whether I should put the fans on the inside and expose the grill of the radiator, or whether I should have the fans exposed and have the radiator on the inside.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Have the fans exposed and have the raditator on the inside. This will allow better flow with less restriction. If you push the air through the radiator it will dissapate as it flows through the radiator the result will be the air will flow anywhere it can. Meaning, it may not all make it out of the case.

With the fans on top, they will draw the air in through the radiator using a wider area thereby reducing pressure and evenly cooling the rad and then collect and exhaust it much more effectively and efficently

Maviryk

.. Do the top one, but add a 1" shroud in between the fans and rad. There's an opening on the other side of the box for air to come in.. right?

OP
Herr Rogers

Herr Rogers

Maviryk said:
.. Do the top one, but add a 1" shroud in between the fans and rad. There's an opening on the other side of the box for air to come in.. right?

no... :(
What about having a fan for intake? Also there is absolutely no room for a shroud. According to that graphI it's less than a 2 degree change in temps.

billb

Herr Rogers said:
pic9qs.jpg

so which one? I would think the second one.
Either will work better W/shroud, be it only 1/2" or so.

Attachments

• Push.jpg
    Push.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 59