• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this settup Blu Ray conpatible??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grishenko45

hi guys,

im thinking of getting a blu ray reader and some software so i can watch blu ray films etc..

anyway i just wanted to double check that this settup will be ok - I think it is..

GTX 285 connected to LG W2452TX-PF 1920*1200 and XP Pro 32

my LG monitor is HDCP - http://www.lge.com/uk/it-products/monitors/LG-lcd-monitor-W2452T.jsp - check there!

I'll be running it through a DVI-D port in my GPU to my monitor.

Do i need to have a HDMI cable or is DVI-D ok?

Thanks all

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
You probably already know this, but DVI will work for video out and you'll need a different output for audio.

If you want HDMI for video + audio, make sure you have a DVI/HDMI adapter that is compatible with audio and a SPDIF cable to go from your motherboard/sound card to your GTX 285.

You might wanna look through the HTPC section for info as well.

OP
grishenko45

grishenko45

thanks - no i didnt know that!
"If you want HDMI for video + audio, make sure you have a DVI/HDMI adapter that is compatible with audio and a SPDIF cable to go from your motherboard/sound card to your GTX 285." what do you mean by this?? i need my dvi cable aswell as a spdif cable from my gpu to my???

thanks

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
The SPDIF cable sends audio from your motherboard (onboard sound) or sound card to your GTX285. Then, the sound will be carried through your GPU to the DVI output. This is where you need a DVI/HDMI adapter that supports audio, so it can send that audio through the DVI output and into the HDMI cable.

OP
grishenko45

grishenko45

cant i just play blu ray through a single dvi from 285 to monitor? why does my dvi cable need sound? cant i just use my sound card as normal?

as you can tell - im a blu ray noob

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
cant i just play blu ray through a single dvi from 285 to monitor? why does my dvi cable need sound? cant i just use my sound card as normal?

as you can tell - im a blu ray noob

You're right, I didn't notice you had to be using external speakers...:bang head
(I think work is blocking your monitor link)

Well, if you ever want to use an HDTV then come back and read my posts...lol

Sorry about that...

Also, make sure the program you'll be using is good enough to watch HD video. I don't really know much about that, so you'll want to ask around. Some may or may not work well with certain OSs, or some may be faster than others at reading from Blu-Rays.

Last edited:
OP
grishenko45

grishenko45

right so - im ok getting a blu ray drive, power dvd 9 ultra, and running it through my HDCP 285 and HDCP monitor through a single DVi-D lead? oh...and the sound will be as normal through my XFi extreme gamers card and 5.1 surround?

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
Yep, it sounds like you're ready for some HD. I read yesterday that PowerDVD works well with XP (no personal experience, so I can't vouch).

OP
grishenko45

grishenko45

thanks for the help matt.

ive got next day delivery so - tommorow evening i'll take out both of my dvd burners and put in my new LG blu ray read/writer and my new LG dvd burner (my lite-on is broken and my other one is too noisy!) then get myself down to HMV and get some blu ray films!!!

cheers