• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is this too hot??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

Monk

My bios is telling me that my CPU temp is 115 when sitting in the bios. It never used to run this hot. If this is too hot, would this be the cause of my lockups??

If it's Farenheit, no. Centigrade, yes. 44 degrees C isn't that bad, although it could be causing lockups. Keyword - could. It could be anything

I think 114*F = ~45-46*C... In my opinion this is pretty hot for a Pentium. Its is probably tolerable, but could definitely be the cause of lockups...although as Cow said, it really could be anything, you did not list any system info. Is this temp under load or idle? What system do you have (chip, board, ram)? What sort of cooling do you have (chip, case)?

These questions would have to be answered before we can help you stop the lockups. :)

IMHO that is way to hot for idling
idling should be somewhere in the 30s and working should be in the 40s
my avge idle temp is 33 and max work is 41
(all temps in C)

This is the temp at idle when I am sitting in the bios just staring at the temps. I have a soyo 6vba133 motherboard 512MB RAM and a heatsink with dual fans on it. Right now it is not overclocked at all (running at 700) although it was running at 892 a few weeks ago. I just hope that I haven't burnt up my little PIII. As far as cooling for my case is concerned, I just have the case off and I have a slot cooler pulling air right off of my Leadtek Geforce2 GTS Pro and a case fan. I have a 300W power supply, soundblaster live!, linksys lne100tx fast ethernet adapter, western digital 9.1 7200rpm hard drive, memorex 48x cd-rom, ricoh mp7040a cd-r/rw, and two 3.5in floppy drives. I am running windows 98. The main lockup that I get is: the screen goes black except for at the top of the screen there are short vertical lines that are different colors depending on what the computer is trying to put on the screen. The hash marks roughly look like this:

I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I

They are not much longer than these i's that I put here and they go all the way across the top of the screen and everything comes to a halt. I thought that it might be the video card so I replaced it. I had a guillemot 3d prophet and changed to the leadtek geforce2 gts pro. This happens everytime I try to use diablo 2 but it will happen eventually after useing geiss for a while with winamp. I hope this is enough info.

Bios temps are usually a lot closer to load than idle, but for a pentium those are still too high.

Hi Monk,
more depends by your Ambient temp!
my C2 600 cb0 @900Mhz 1.85v works @44C full load, with an ambient temp of 29C, when @boot-up the Bios reports 41C.

I hope it helps you :)

My processor is a 700E overclocked to 854 and I am also using a soyo board (6BA+100).

My pentium (SLOT) idles at 22C and the system idles at about 30C
under load it runs about 30-33C

your TEMPS ARE WAY too hot I think, and I have noticed the pentium coppermines alike being very dependant on the temps, if you so much as climb one degree higher than they like.... then they freeze up.

I am using a golden orb (I KNOW THEY SUCK!! I don't want to hear it) I just took my golden orb and lapped the hell out of it. I got it so damn smooth. Try lapping your heatsink with some sandpaper start out with a small number and slowly work up to about 2000 grade and use wet/dry. I then used artic silver thermal paste and I think that My temps are extremely good for a retired golden orb.

Hey Monk,

I have a Cel 2 800 @ 992 1.7v and I'm reporting about the same as The Doors posted; At boot up Bios reports 41C system temp and under a full load it goes to 43C. While I have an Epox Mobo, their tech support assured me that 43C is an normal operating temperature my mobo. It may be similar with yours.

Good luck!

Back