• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ketchup318

i have a p4 1.5 williamette overclocked to 1.8 (100fsb->120, 33MHz PCI Bus). My core temp is at 42C idle with 30C ambient. When under full load, it jumps to like 65C. Is this too hot for the computer? I also have the core voltage up to 1.825v to keep things stable.

Abit TH7Raid
p4 1.5 williamette
512 NEC RDRam PC 800
Sound Blaster Live
ATI Radeon 9500
2 WD 80GB in Raid 0

Thanks for any feedback on this

Maxvla

yes that is way too hot.

you need a better cooler if you intend to run that speed.

(HR)Titan

hm
65C is too hot , and vcore is too high
if u use better cooliong u still fry the chip with high voltage
buy swiftech mcx 4000 or slk 900
with some 92 mm fan

Flame

Registered
you don't have to go quite to the extremes of a mcx4000 or slk900 but you definately need something better than the junk hs that came with that.

batboy

Senior Moment
I don't think the vcore is very high since default is 1.75v (if you have good cooling), but the temps are too high, so you probably need to back down the overclock and voltage. Maybe lapping the CPU heatsink and using a good thermal paste will help. These P-4 systems need good case ventilation. Lots of people seem to ignore that for some reason. You need an extra intake case fan in front and exhaust case fan in back, at a minimum.

Enigma422

I agree with what everbody else has said here. 65C at load is high. What HSF are you using and what kind of cooling do you have in your case? Have you tried taking off your HSF reapplying some thermal compound and reset the HSF. If you have the retail HSF then try removing the TIM and use some other type of thermal compound like AS3.

OP
K

ketchup318

Do you think that i should spend the money and get a 40 dollars fan. The reason i'm overclocking in the first place is cause this thing is getting kinda old, i've had it for a good while. I've switched fans already, it's just another generic one, but it cooled things a degree or 2.
Also i've taken off the old thermal compound for some artic silver 3, and have 2 new fans installed, one intake in front and exhaust in the rear.
Is it time to upgrade?

batboy

Senior Moment
Are you sure you're locking the heatsink down tight against the CPU? I hate for you to spend anymore cash on that system. With case fans and AS3, you really should have better temps than that, unless your mobo sensors are way outta wack. But... 30 degrees ambient is pretty warm... so who knows. Consider pulling the heatsink off one more time and check the "footprint" in the thermal paste (to see if it looks ok), clean the sink, reapply AS3, and reinstall again. You might have too much or too little AS3. If all else fails, back off the overclock and the voltage a little bit, then save up over the summer for a new system. Those Willies do tend to run hotter than the northies. If you're perfectly stable after rechecking everything, then maybe don't worry about it. From my experience, lapping the heatsink can make a difference, usually a least 2 degrees or more.

Last edited:

RotKT

Registered
how can you OC abit TH7raid?
im having p4 2.0gb, trying to OC to 133/33 x18 but it wasnt working. i had to clear CMOS.
plz instruct how you did it?
did you disable the softmenu or leave it enabled?
did you use the user define or pre-defined settings in the softmenu?

thanks