• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andrewwelton

Registered
Just finished building my new rig. Specs are
Intel Core i7 standard clock speeds.
ASUS Rampage II Gene mobo
Corsair XMS3 3x2gb 1600mHz RAM
Gigabyte GTX 275 Super Over Clock
Corsair HX750W PSU

This is all inside a NZXT Lexa Blackline case. I have the temperature probes for the case loose in the bottom to tell me the ambient temperature of the case. I idle in the 25 degree celsius to 32 degree celsius.
My GPU idles at 40
My cpu is anywhere from 45 to 53.

Under load (Dragon Age Origins, Crysis etc) my case temperature reaches about 45 degrees celsius.
I have all the fans working in the case except for the small top fan, I had to remove it so the power supply would fit.
Is this too hot? Anything I can do? (Water cooling is a no... cant afford it)

OP
A

Andrewwelton

Registered
GPU Temp under load is 57-63 degrees celsius.
CPU Temp under load is about the same.
For the CPU I used Arctic Cooling MX-2.
I dont know if the sensors are calibrated correctly, I just have them loose in the case and are going by the reading they are giving me.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
Download it, install it and run it. Watch your temperatures while you load the CPU with Prime95 or LinX.
Then report back here with a screen capture so we can have a look.
It is the internal core temperatures we are concerned with here.

OP
A

Andrewwelton

Registered
I'm thinking this is bad....
Very, very bad.
This was tested with Prime95 64bit under the "Blend" testing.

Attachments

• tempsnoload.png
    tempsnoload.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 123
  • tempsunderload.png
    tempsunderload.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 123

burebista

Man stop testing. You have LOG in Thermal Status area. That means that 2 of your cores were in thermal throttle. In fact even when you captured your screenshot you're in throttle (x18 multiplier instead x20).
Check your cooler push-pins ASAP.

baditude_df

Northern Senior
I'm thinking this is bad....
Very, very bad.
This was tested with Prime95 64bit under the "Blend" testing.

You have a bad mount, no doubt about it.
Not knowing your actual Vcore, I would say you should be loading at between 70-80degC with that CPU at stock settings with a stock cooler assuming a room temperature ambient. I'll assume it's a D0 stepping.
It would help to have a screencap with both RealTemp and CPUZ to get a better picture of what's going on.

Man stop testing. You have LOG in Thermal Status area. That means that 2 of your cores were in thermal throttle. In fact even when you captured your screenshot you're in throttle (x18 multiplier instead x20).
Check your cooler push-pins ASAP.

burebista is right. No more stress testing till you have addressed your cooling situation.
Either you haven't seated the cooler properly, or you have used too little or too much TIM.
One dab in the middle of the CPU IHS like so:

image8s.jpg

That should work well with a stock cooler. If not try a small line like so:

timapplication.jpg

Personally, if I were you I would invest in a nice TRUE RevC or a Megahalems. You'll be glad you did.

Last edited:

Acuradude

that dont look good to me at first i was thinking that maybe you just needed to let the paste cure but thats high so i really dont know good luck on that one i have a similar problem but mines not nearly as bad!!!

OP
A

Andrewwelton

Registered
Thanks baditude!
Took off my fan, replaced the thermal paste as per your pictures, remounted it and ALL temps seem better now.
My case ambient is about 28 degrees celsius under load.
The processor after running the same test did not exceed 75 degrees celsius (this was after 5 straight minutes of the test.)
And the processor idles around 38-44 degrees celsius now.
Thanks to everyone for their help! All better now :D