• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this unit sufficient for a 1080 TI and the rest of my system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lenix

Hello OC!

Planning on getting EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

My current system:
PSU: CX600M Corsair
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K LGA1150 (OC'd to 4.4Ghz)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz
GPU: EVGA 780 Ti
SSD: Samsung
HDD: 4TB WD Black
Monitor: RoG Swift
MISC: K70 Corsair Keyboard + G502 Logitech mouse
MISC: 2x200mm case fans

I know the PSU doesn't have the best components and it's not really recommended among enthusiasts, but I've been using it for the past 1.5 years and everything is fine and I'd rather not invest in a new PSU if it's sufficient.

• Is the PSU sufficient?
  • Unrelated to thread title but will my system bottleneck a 1080 Ti? (i.e. EVGA FTW3)

Last edited:
It's pretty good PSU. Should handle this setup without issues. I had 6800K+GTX1080Ti on Corsair RM550 not so long time ago and was working without issues.

More than enough. I used to run a 4790k@5GHz plus 290X@1200MHz on this PSU.

The same psu (cx600)? I'm surprised because I read a lot of hate towards this unit (i.e. Many people say they it shouldn't be used in a gaming rig) (also this). How much power does the 290x draw?

Last edited:
The same psu (cx600)? I'm surprised because I read a lot of hate towards this unit (i.e. Many people say they it shouldn't be used in a gaming rig) (also this). How much power does the 290x draw?

Yes, the very same. I have 2 actualle: a CX600M and a CX600. Both served me well.

Well, it could be that some are just paranoid - the CX line are bottom of the barrel supplies after all. Personally I find them more than reliable until about 6 months out of warranty, then they simply don't come back up. Don't let that scare you away though, I still use them in everything from NAS/Servers to gaming systems, as for those ~3 1/2 years I'm convinced you won't find a better supply for the price if you get them on sale. I always grab an extra one of the 430w variants whenever they hit the $20 amir mark on the egg just to have one on hand.

Back