• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this working properly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blimpie

Registered
I installed the console based program, and it just said "completed 0 out of 2500000 steps (0%)" and it sat there for a long time. i then ctrl+c 'd the program, and rebooted. now it just says "Completed 2500 out of 2500000 steps (1%)" and on the next line "Extra SSE boost OK."
How long does it normally take for a WU to be done? I am running a 930 MHz PIII with 512 Mb ram. on a dialup connection. Am I doing something wrong, or does it not update you as it makes progress,(like showing 2% done, then 3% done, etc), or does it just sit there till it finishes a WU?

Also, i have now downloaded the Electron Microscope program, and it also shows that im just sitting there. It is using my processor, but not doing anything.
Also again, running windows 2003

Am I doing something wrong?

Fast420A

A sub 1 Gig processor is going to take like 2 - 3 days to do a work unit. Everything looks fine from what you have said so far. Fold On!

OSUmaxx

Everything looks fine. One way to check is to open the task manager and make sure your CPU is running @ 99%.

OP
B

Blimpie

Registered
Can someone give me a "DUNCE HAT"!!

Wow, ok, im a dunce. I deleted everything in the folder folder... er.. yea, except for the consone and the core. Then, i ran the console again, and it downloaded the fah core 65 instead of the fah core 78 like before. I think the reason it wasnt working before is cuz when i opened the electron microscope i didnt have the console open. now its working, but one more question
What is the difference between the FAH core 65 and the FAH core 78???? Is one better than the other?

OCn00b

You want FAH core 78, those are gromacs. They'll be alot faster on any of the newer processors.

axlecrusher

You should also set the -advmethods and -forceasm or -force SSE depending on which client you have. These will also make your computer fold faster.

Axle

OCn00b

That's true, just remember if your computer isn't 100% stable forcing SSE may result in lock ups and lost work units. Unfortunately only one of my rigs can run SSE without lock ups :(

OP
B

Blimpie

Registered
How do i make it use FAH core 78? every time i delete everything cept the fah core 78 and run the console, it starts downloading the 65 again?? Also, how do i do these commands??
-advmethods and -forceasm or -force SSE
remember, newbie here
Can i do these commands in EMIII??

Last edited:
OP
B

Blimpie

Registered
ok, now its not working at all again, AAAKKKKK this blows. The EMIII just sits there at 0% for everything. I did get it working for a while, it did one frame, then stopped at 100%. Should i try downloading a different version of the console?

SavageBasher

First, fire up EMIII. Then fire up the console. I'm using a 1.2 celey, and it takes me approx 30 minutes per % on most gromacs. I don't even use EMIII, its a waste of memory for me since I'm just running 1 pc. I'm using win 98, and this is what my shortcut looks like in my startup folder.

Last edited:

axlecrusher

Be patient, EMIII can't actually tell where in the current frame FAH is calculating. It simply makes predictions based on the previously completed frames. It takes a few frames for EMIII to become accurate. It works like this becasue EMIII can only look at what is in the logs and make estimates based on how long previous frames took. Also if you begin using CPU for other tasks, FAH natually slows down, thus throwing off EMIII's predictions. EMIII also starts predicting over again whenever it is started, so opening and closing it will make it seem like it is broken. Please don't get so frustrated that you give up.

Axle

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
At least one of the gromacs servers is or was down. I have some queued wu's and am working tinkers on a few boxes.