• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is underclocking safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CameronM

Hello, this is my first post on this so tell me if I'm missing something here. Anyway, I heard about undervolting and was pretty interested in trying it out myself. I haven't done it yet, I'm looking for actual advice on this beforehand. I've already checked out Intels Extreme Tuning Utility, I know how to do it but I'm wondering if it could possibly damage my laptop or make unreversible changes. Is there a way to reset everything back to default with this Intel program or any other program if something goes wrong?

My laptop: GL702VM-DB74 17"

-16GB of RAM
-Core i7 intel
-Nvidia 1060 with 6GB GDDR5 VRAM
I don't know what else to add, comment below if so.

Alaric

Under volting will, at worst, blue screen and go to defaults if it doesn't work. Easily reversed (it will do so itself) and zero danger to your computer.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
1, it's safe, to overclock we start by undervolting.
to reverse everything, turn off xtu.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
My advice with any sort of software overclock/underclock is to not set the app to automatically apply changes until I have tested it thoroughly. Its one of the most annoying things to have a bad software OC start on boot and prevent you from disabling it.