• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is w2k sp3 spyware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Check out this forum thread at 2cpu.com.

If this is for real, any way to defeat it?

The fix perhaps.

Can you selectively install service pack components unzipped and extracted to a folder as individual updates?

Last edited:

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Wow, MS is spying on us. Gee, I never would've guessed :rolleyes:

The fix boils down to this, however: Do you want easy updates, or do you wanna spend hours searching for patches?

I like my updates easy. "But Microsoft can see your computer!" You'll say. Bah! What do they want? My hardware specs? I post those on the internet for Christs' sake! I send them to Blizzard when I update their games! My email address? Bah again! I post that on the internet, too.

*sigh* I guess it just comes down to giving up a bit of your freedom for ease-of-use. I'm alright with that. If I wasn't, I would stop bitching and install Linux, rather than listen to people ***** about Mircosoft!

*RAGE*

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Windows has its uses and if properly managed, it can actually be pleasant to work with. However, M$ isn't going to get anything other than my purchase price from me or my computers.

Heat

I don't think its that hard to bypass, hopefully, it'll be simple as jusr disabling a service.

I just ordered w2k Pro oem w/sp3 so I guess I'll give it a shot.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I have the sp1 version which will allow me to use IEradicator to completely eliminate IE first before installing sp3. Hopefully sp3 won't reinstall IE. I've opened up the install package and only found five IE patches/updates, not IE itself. I'll make sure I'm offline when I install sp3. I'll betcha w2k sp4 will have the XP authentification process installed LOL. :D

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
M$ is in a big hurry to force march/migrate everyone into Paladium technology software & hardware.

Imagine...
Paying the RIAA a royalty each and every time you want to listen to you MP3s or hum a show tune in the shower.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
I just block anything that sounds suspicios using sygate. As far as im concerned the kernal has no business accessing the internet!

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I know M$ would like you to rely on the XP/LH native firewall instead of a third party app. I wonder why? (extreme sarcasm).

Disputant

I have several rules in my Kerio Firewall for outgoing garbage like that. I noticed that winword.exe was trying to access the net on my bros pc the last time I cleaned a virus off for him though. Suspiciously after I patch him up to SP3, just blocked that progy real quick though with the firewall.

Interesting read though, thanks, didn't think about what it was before.

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Read Ed's latest rant about M$ on the front page. He pretty well nails it. M$ thinks we're all its enemies so it will tie its panties in a bunch to prevent Joe Sixpack from pirating any apps while being powerless to stop the real pirates.

Disputant

Emericana said:
so i am assuming XP is spyware too? i would only guess this

Not sure, I haven't had to create any special rule sets to block outgoing traffic yet on mine, but then again, I am holding out on SP1 until I know its not going to mess my pc up. I figure why upgrade unless its broken. I am hoping someone else has some more facts on the matter though.

Edit: Found this in another forum:

"Apparently, Windows XP Service Pack 1 is supposed to contain spyware. Lavasoft's Ad-aware detects the presence of spyware under the form of a registry key that activates ALEXA, a program that comes from an offshoot company of Amazon.com.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\internet explorer\extensions{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}
"

OP
Audioaficionado

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
Can you delete it or does XP just use its file repair system to put it right back?

Disputant

Audioaficionado said:
Can you delete it or does XP just use its file repair system to put it right back?

I am waiting to see if anyone here with SP1 can confirm that it is there. Then if they could run ad-aware and blow it out, then see if XP tries to put it back. I am content with my non-SP1 machine so I don't have an answer yet.

lmwalton

I have XP Pro w/SP1 installed. I had Ad-aware delete reg. key for Alexa on Sep 10th and have had no problems. I checked to see if it was reinstalled, and it is not. So I think you should have no problems with deleting the reg key. I have downloaded patches since then. Hope this helps

Disputant

lmwalton said:
I have XP Pro w/SP1 installed. I had Ad-aware delete reg. key for Alexa on Sep 10th and have had no problems. I checked to see if it was reinstalled, and it is not. So I think you should have no problems with deleting the reg key. I have downloaded patches since then. Hope this helps

Thanks Imwalton, thats just what I wanted to hear.