• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ISO HELP: 4K TV Resolution issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MstrRoshi

Registered
Hello All,

TIA.
Need a little advice. Not sure what is going on. My main monitor is the 4k tv in my sig. I had a secondary monitor, but it recently died. Didn't have any issues for weeks after unplugging the dead monitor, but now windows is not filling the screen when I lower the resolution from 4K.

Sig is current. And yes i know, the massive bottleneck is my video card. GPU prices are finally coming down so I can finally look at that... Anyway. The out dated GPU is why I prefer to run windows @ 2560x1440 resolution. This way I can winow mode my games that are @ 1920x1080. It gives me a good balance between FPS and the ability to multitask / keeps me from getting sucked into games for hours on end when I don't want to.
On to the issue at hand. I noticed in my gpu properties, it was only showing 59hz refresh rate. which is fine, but i wanted to bump it up to the full 60hz. when I changed that.. all of a sudden Win10 in the 2560x1440 resolution that's been fine forever decides to shrink down and center itself in the screen. I don't know if this is an upscaling issue or what, but its like windows recognizes the max resolution capable of the monitor, and only displays a 2560x1440 window centered in a 3840x2160 area. Freakin wierd. And frustrating. Got some pics, but I had to take them with my phone because the screen shots were only capturing the 2560x1440 window, and not the dead screen space around it.

IMG_20180801_085107.jpg

These are the display settings from the shot above. Notice Multiple Displays: I have it set to Show Only 1. I'll get to that in just a second.
IMG_20180801_085115.jpg

Here's where it gets really wierd. I took my dead monitor, and hooked it up to the DVI port. and BAM. the 2560x1440 res fills my screen again. Here's the pic
IMG_20180801_085147.jpg

If you notice in this last pic. the Multiple Displays is set to Extend These Displays.

I can duplicate the issue by hooking up that dead monitor, and chaning that multiple display setting. When it thinks there are 2 monitors, its fine. But if its just the 4k TV alone, the only resolution that will fill the entire screen is 3840x2160 or the 1 step above that. Which is just too taxing on my video card.
The end goal is to be able to run Win10 @ 2560x1440 and have it fill the screen with only my tv hooked up.

Thanks again for any help or insight. And sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

for starters, in 2D mode resolution is only limited by the monitor or back in my day it was the video card due to other issues, im talking like Matrox millennium days. any way after reading these, its make me think about not getting a so called 4k tv.
https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolution-confusion-1080p-2k-uhd-4k-and-what-they-all-mean/
https://www.lifewire.com/4k-resolution-overview-and-perspective-1846842
seems that TV's llisted as 4k are otherwise called but not listed UHD/3,840x2,160. it makes sense why it is full screen at 3,840x2,160 ,though im confused. what is the highest resolution it says you can select with just the TV hooked up? have you used ATI's control panel to set your resolution?

Last edited:
This is just a small hiccup in using this TV, I've been using this set up for more than a year, and it's looking more like an issue with the video card. This TV's model # is in my sig, and I highly recommend it. for under $500 it's 43" of screen space, HDR, and only 11ms input lag. From a tv, that's amazing.

You can only access display resolution through Windows settings now. the ATI control panel is long gone...

However to answer your question. There are 2 standard resolutions for 4K video: 3840x2160 and 4096x2160. Both of which display just fine, its just too much for my video card.

then i must be reading something wrong, i guess i dont fully understand the problem after reading the post again. you say something is bottlenecking the card and well 2D resolution can not do that to a 280x, 3D resolution at 4k more then likely. another question is are you using the PC input on the TV?

*edit*
even according to LG the max resolution is 3840 x 2160. as far as anything else i can think of is the fact something is going on with the aspect ratio or scaling to fit the screen.
screenscaling.jpg
that is from my NV control panel, something i dont think windows 10 will have. if AMD/ATI did away with the control center that isnt good for fixing what might be a scaling issue unless there is a option in the tv for that.

Last edited:
then i must be reading something wrong, i guess i dont fully understand the problem after reading the post again. you say something is bottlenecking the card and well 2D resolution can not do that to a 280x, 3D resolution at 4k more then likely. another question is are you using the PC input on the TV?

My video card (280x) is a massive bottleneck for my gaming computer. I was just stating that so this thread didn't get flooded with people telling me my card is crap and i need to update it. I know that.

I'm not sure why you keep referencing 2D vs 3D resolution. This is not a 3D monitor/tv, and i'm not running VR.

Let me clarify:

Even though the max resolution on my tv is 4K, when i set windows to display @ 2560x1440, it should fill the entire screen. Instead, it leaves me with what is shown in the first picture. A 2560x1440 window inside of a 3840x2160 area. I can fix this error by hooking up a 2nd monitor, as shown in the 3rd pic.

I'm trying to get Windows 10 to display 2560x1440 resolution, and have it fill the entire screen, when there is only 1 monitor connected.

Does the catalyst control center (or whatever its software is called) have a similar function for scaling like evil shows? Or windows for that matter?

Does the catalyst control center (or whatever its software is called) have a similar function for scaling like evil shows? Or windows for that matter?

Sadly no. The AMD software is fairly useless when it comes to display settings. Has more to do with OC the video card, and setting up environmental settings for specific games vs normal settings and stuff like that. I did just update it, so i'll take another look to see if they've added anything helpful.

As far as scaling goes, i've been trying to avoid that word, because it fuddles up all my search results. Windows offers "Scaling" for higher resolutions, but that affects the Win10 UI directly by making icons, the start menu, some text, and other things physically bigger on the screen so that you aren't struggling to see/read everything at that high res.

View attachment 200406
that is from my NV control panel, something i dont think windows 10 will have. if AMD/ATI did away with the control center that isnt good for fixing what might be a scaling issue unless there is a option in the tv for that.

Something like this is what i need to find! I hope the AMD software has something like that, but I couldn't find anything last time i looked. Its for sure an 'upscaling' or aspect ratio issue. But the windows UI scaling is the only thing that gets returned in my search results.

Thanks for the input guys

in referencing 2D vs 3D is in the fact in windows its 2D, playing Video games IS 3D, VR or not. VR is 3D its just that each one is from a slightly different POV to give you a more realist 3D environment.

have you installed the latest drivers for your 280x? if so you have a option of installing the catalyst control center for windows 10. this was a option when i used a 6950 along time ago, not sure why its a option, should be standard like in NV IMO. check these searches out
https://www.google.com/search?clien...r+windows+10&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

from this search i found this odd link, not sure why they would call it bloatware, wonder if they consider the NV control panel the samething.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/15fcc98d-9188-49e0-b801-c321ed0e9de7

https://www.google.com/search?clien...0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.aDv6d2z2Q7M

also for me scaling is different then upscaling but that definition is debatable IMO.

*edit*
though i would start with installing new drivers and checking the option to install the catalyst control center.

in referencing 2D vs 3D is in the fact in windows its 2D, playing Video games IS 3D, VR or not. VR is 3D its just that each one is from a slightly different POV to give you a more realist 3D environment.

have you installed the latest drivers for your 280x? if so you have a option of installing the catalyst control center for windows 10. this was a option when i used a 6950 along time ago, not sure why its a option, should be standard like in NV IMO. check these searches out
https://www.google.com/search?clien...r+windows+10&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

from this search i found this odd link, not sure why they would call it bloatware, wonder if they consider the NV control panel the samething.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/15fcc98d-9188-49e0-b801-c321ed0e9de7

https://www.google.com/search?clien...0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.aDv6d2z2Q7M

also for me scaling is different then upscaling but that definition is debatable IMO.

*edit*
though i would start with installing new drivers and checking the option to install the catalyst control center.

Thanks for clarifying the 2D vs 3D environments, as you probably figured, this is all 2D.

I did get the most updated drivers, did not turn out to be the issue. Here's a link to the DL page, as you can see, the catalyst control center has been phased completely out. Its all Radeon named software, and I'm sure that will change on their next line of GPU's.

There are way too many types of scaling for my liking lol. Windows UI scaling vs GPU scaling vs TV's Upscaling... pick a new word already.

Now to be fair, I actually fixed this issue before seing this response, so I haven't checked out the links you threw in there.

In the Radeon software there was a single toggle for GPU SCALING and then a drop down for SCALING MODE. Even tho GPU scaling was 'OFF' it was still registering the 'Centered' scaling mode option. Maybe its just default centered idk. But turning GPU Scaling 'ON' and changing the mode to Perserve Aspect Ratio fixed the issue. Your NV screenshot was really helpful, so thanks for that!

glad you got it sorted out! :beer:

my SS was ment be generic on what to look for settings wise. for me scaling didn't matter if done by GPU or the screen, some times TV's can be a bit more finicky and letting the GPU do it works out.

One thing that will help is creating different profiles for your different screens. I have 3 profiles for 2 screens. TV only, Desktop only, & both (at the same time). Fortunately both of my screens use the same aspect only different refreshes. On my rig, TV only, if I push the refresh from 59-60, it crashes my gpu. I do get the full 60Hz with both screens. I don't use extended either I use duplicate. Desktop only runs at 144Hz. I assigned keystrokes (alt/t, d & m) for switching using a small free program. https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/.
My rig is only 1080 and the gpu definitely does not like 4k content. I installed Power DVD with WMP completely disabled and the software complained about it with 4K content. Your R9 card is way better than my R7 gpu and is fully capable of 4K, at least in it's specs.

One thing that will help is creating different profiles for your different screens. I have 3 profiles for 2 screens. TV only, Desktop only, & both (at the same time). Fortunately both of my screens use the same aspect only different refreshes. On my rig, TV only, if I push the refresh from 59-60, it crashes my gpu. I do get the full 60Hz with both screens. I don't use extended either I use duplicate. Desktop only runs at 144Hz. I assigned keystrokes (alt/t, d & m) for switching using a small free program. https://sourceforge.net/projects/monitorswitcher/.
My rig is only 1080 and the gpu definitely does not like 4k content. I installed Power DVD with WMP completely disabled and the software complained about it with 4K content. Your R9 card is way better than my R7 gpu and is fully capable of 4K, at least in it's specs.

As far as scaling goes, i've been trying to avoid that word, because it fuddles up all my search results. Windows offers "Scaling" for higher resolutions, but that affects the Win10 UI directly by making icons, the start menu, some text, and other things physically bigger on the screen so that you aren't struggling to see/read everything at that high res.

Back