• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues, any help?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

impact

Registered
Right, so i JUST installed a new watercooling system (built by me) into my AMD2100... but now it is having some SERIOUS issues... so im asking for any help i can get.. heres a full description, any help is useful.
There were no leaks in the system that i could see (dont think its water related)...
In windows the computer would just freeze, on whatever frame it was on (no mouse, nothing happens), would have to reset comp to bring it back up... length of running would vary, sometimes it wouldn't get past checking my ram amount (bios stuffs)...
I realized I had taken out the fan on the 8x GPU block, and put it back but forgot to plug it in, so i thought the GPU might be overheating and wasn't putting out frames... so i plugged it in, and it fixed the problem for an hour or two, then it started up again... I checked both sticks of ram (still happens with either of them in, also happens with my dad's computer's ram)...
Tried reformatting (didn't think it would help, but it needed it anyhow)...
Tends to do it more when running more demanding programs...
and the trend is: Load photoshop, crash...
reboot, crash in bios
reboot, crash in bios
leave comp off for 10 min
reboot, make it into windows, do something using power = crash
crash in bios
crash in bios
which makes me think its heat related....
CPU temps are stable between 30-35 depending on room temp... so the CPU shouldn't be overheating (35 is 10 less then my pre-water idle)....
haven't tested my Gfx card yet (GF4 TI4200) but i doubt it to be that...
I dont have a spare 4x/8x card lying around right now, but ill grab one from a friend later..
so my thoughts are:
CPU partially dead
GPU dead
GF4 card maybe dead...
Question: Will taking out my GF4 card and putting in a PCI crap vid. card bypass the AGP GPU block on my mobo? or will it still run through that?
next question: What is wrong? what should i do?
Specs:
Athlon XP 2100 non-OC'd (for now)
Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
256 DDR400 + 128DDR400
GF4 TI4200
WD 80GB 7200rpm 8mb SE
SB Live 5.1

OP
I

impact

Registered
i cant find agb-fastwrite in bios...
any idea what its under?

OP
I

impact

Registered
hmmm, an interesting discovery..
whilest searching the bios i found i had my ram/AGP/CPU overvolted by +5% each (from overclocking a while ago)...
fixed that, and not seeming to have a problem now..
in windows for 5 min now with no crash... amazing...

OP
I

impact

Registered
Spoke too soon
25 min in windows and BAM
froze up...

back to suggestions...
anyone?
bueler?
bueler?
bueler?

OP
I

impact

Registered
voltages follow:
CPU = 1.756
DRAM = 2.5
AGP = 1.5

ill check the wires in a sec...
why?
think the PSU isn't strong enough?

CrashOveride

No, but I have had similar problems and it turned out there was a problem with either the PSU or the motherboard... bad problem. But it may not be that...

OP
I

impact

Registered
runnin an antec truepower 350w PSU...
never gave me any problems before..
i did add 3 fans to my system, but dropped 1 other..
+2 80mms
+1 120mm
-1 CPU fan..
but could that put it over the edge?

ZightZar

a bit off topic, but why are your star white? srry, just REALLY been bugging my lol, and im the type of guy who goes crazy if something is left unanswered.... :D

OP
I

impact

Registered
+5v = 1.5A-35A
+12v = .8-16A
this what you were looking for?

OP
I

impact

Registered
sorry, found what you needed
voltages follow:
VCoreA = 1.750 stable
+3.3v = 3.210-3.230
+5v = 4.810-4.830
+12v = 11.960-12.090
+5vsb = 4.910-4.940

they look a bit below what they should be..
is that gunna pose a problem?

Aktunka

Of all of those fans that you added, did you plug them into the motherboard fan headers or did you plug them into connectors straight off of the power supply? Depending on your fans that you added they might be putting just a big enough draw on your power system on the board that it is causing you some stability issues. If you did plug them all into fan headers on the motherboard try unplugging them all and see if your stability issues go away. You are watercooled now so if you installed everything ok then you should be alright at least for testing purposes. This can help eliminate that as an issue at least. You may have to plug one of the smaller fans into the CPU fan header though as many boards require one plugged in there or they wont boot.

Also, boot up and go into bios, and see what it says your CPU temp is just sitting there for a while at idle. YOu may have accidently mounted the waterblock wrong or not tightened it down enough or something, causing the CPU to get too hot.

Aktunka

ZightZar said:
bump?? plz, im starting to lose it.... must know what the white stars mean!!!!

Not sure what exactly they mean, but the number and color of stars seems to correspond with the number of posts one has made, and possibly with whether or not they are a contributing (money wise) member, but not sure on the second part. Crash has over 5000 posts.