• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It Has arrived But why is it sooooo SLOW!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wildfire

I have just got hold of my Leadtek GeForce4 Ti4400, the HS is very nice!!

But benchmarking it I only get 5000 marks at default speed!!!

The settings I used were as follows: 1024 x 768 32bit colour, compressed textures, x4 AA, tripple frame buffer, optimised for D3D Hardware T&L Pure.

I did have the Leadtek GeForce2 MX DH Pro which scored near 3000 so why is my big card only getting 2000 more?

My system is as follows, as I can't change my signature:

Athlon TBird 1200@ 1301
Abit KT7
640Mb PC133 RAM
Creative 1024 Live Sound card.

I did uninstall the previous card before I put the new one in, but am using the Leadtek drivers. I do have 28.32 but I'm not sure about these yet. The card seems to be on IRQ 10 by itself so I don't think there is a sharing IRQ problem.

Can anyone help? I don't want to have shelled out £270 for nothing really. I was using 3D Mark 2001 by the way.

Also I am in the middle of a big project so can't really afford to format the system yet, not until early June really.

Please I need help!!!

I'm not sure really, what sort of performance should I be getting from my setup? But I heard that the Accuview engine on the card should almost compensate for the AA being turned on.

I tried again with the default setup and got 7200 or so marks? I'm still not very impressed with this. Should I try the 28.32 drivers?

Does anybody have any help they can give me to try and improve performance?

With those settings on,that will be the score.I have a P4. [email protected] and with those settings I get 6400 down from 10700 range.i just tweeked my card to get the best score I could then maxed out all settings on the card and my games to play..... You will take a preformace hit but the image quaility is great.

umm, u should be getting 10,000 easy. check vsync and the basic stuff. i get over 9k with a Ti200. keep us posted. use the 28.32's and check all of the driver settings.
-Malakai

your score is also affected by backgrounds apps you have running...anti-virus, firewall, even aim. if you have any apps working in the background...shut them down and your scores should improve...don't feel bad though...i only scored a little over 8000 with my first ti4600 o/c'ed...but then i had norton anti-virus scanning my pc, aim on, and my firewall running, a couple of other progs too......

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Can some one tell me what are good settings to use? I mean I'm not too clued up on some things, what should I have the v sync set to?

I will switch drivers later today and re test.

I am just using the stardard default settings at the moment, want a good result before I oc or tweak.

P.S Max Payne looks great with x4AA on anyway.

You have SDR ram.

Even with a 2Ghz system and 333-DDR an 8500 is bottlenecked (not able to run at its full capacity due to the rest of the PC being to slow) your CPU is running at 1.3Ghz so its severly bottlenecked.

However even with SDR ram which glorifies that bottleneck you should still get over 8k.
V-sync shouldn't make a diference either, I get no performance gains with it off.

Check its set to AGP 4x in the BIOS, check Fast-writes and other AGP options are on.
Also try to set your RAM to Cas2 if it isn't already.
Try different drivers.

A LOT of people have got the same problems as they haven't uninstalled their previous drivers fullly.
Re-install (after uninstalling) the drivers and try again.

Good Luck,
M_N

Thanks, I will try with V Sync off.

My memory is PQI memory so I don't think it can get to CAS 2 safely. Also if I try and o/c the FSB the Mental Ray Render server crashes so I can't render any work. (I do 3D graphics so need the system stable.) I also heard that the KT7's don't really like o/cing of the FSB. I have a feeling that the CPU is on;y a 100mhz one as well. I will upgrade the CPU and MOBO at some point when the cash allows.

What AGP options should be turned on and what off? Does the 4 way interleave matter? Are there any other options that should be turned on in the BIOS?

Sorry about all the questions but after I got rid of my 850 @1.1Ghz I had a whole bunch of problems with my system and I had work to do so just opted for a stable fail safe system, but now I want to get teh graphics running fast.

Thanks again to everybody who has replied and helped

Ok I have uninstalled the Leadtek drivers and put in the 28.32s, also turned off V Sync and turned on fast write in the BIOS. After benchmarking ing 3D Mark 2001 I now get 7600. This is still not good. I know the rest of my system is bottlenecking the card but I should still get a pretty good score shouldn't I? Better than 7600.

Is there anything else I should be doing to get a better score? I don't really want to O/C yet until I can get at least over 8000. As I said before I can't o/c the FSB because it cause certain programs to stop working and then the computer to crash if pushed further.

Any other graphic options to check, in the BIOS or windows.

I'm running XP Professional and will be soon carrying out some of the XP tweaks that Maximus Nickus pointed out in an earlier thread.

Thanks again guys

Yes the score does look low....

I wouldn't say its your settings but I think its your RAM.
Unfortunately SDR just doesn't provide the bandwidth for your CPU or GPU.

To test this run games at different resolutions, you sohuld see that at the lowest settings the framerate is the same as at the highest, the reason being that the system is bottlenecked so cannot accelerate to its full potential.

Some G4's get over 9k with your setup but for your CPU and RAM thats a good score.
Try different drivers anyway just to be sure and try enabling the faster memory options.

Cas 2, 4 bank interleave and so on. (if they don't work then a BIOS clear will be in need so don't fret if the system refuses to boot!) lastly try upping the FSB, this wll give better memory bandwidth.

But other than Tweaking to the limit (see my Thread:D) you'd have to buy a board that supports DDR to really see that G4 fly.
But its still a good score for your CPU/SDR configuration.
And it will certainly satisfy you in all your gaming/editing needs.

M_N

Back