• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

it's a miracle!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retarded130

Registered
I have an old pentium 75 that belongs to a packard bell.
With all OEM parts.
Can I overclock this?Mayby though my bios?
I plan to run linux on it or bsd and use it to mess around.
mayby as a small server? Always wanted to learn apache!

batboy

Senior Moment
Almost none of those early socket 7 mobos had adjustable settings in the BIOS. You generally had to physically move jumpers around to change settings. The really early socket 7 mobos were very limited indeed. I have one right now that has the original P-75 CPU on it and the only settings that you can change only overclocks it to 90 MHz (basically changing the FSB from 50 to 60). There is not even any multiplier or voltage settings or jumpers. Later mobos had lots more settings available. The newer super socket 7 mobos had even more overclocking potential and some of those even had adjustable BIOS settings.

OP
R

retarded130

Registered
damn,
It was a miracle that I got it all to work,
I built that p-75 machine with old parts.
but now when I re-assembled it and put it into a case, it won't reboot properly, says the keyboard is locked and the cpu doesn't make it's usual start up noise,
the computer starts silently then crashes in the bios,
says bad cmos also I think,
know what I could of done wrong?

OP
R

retarded130

Registered
How do I clear the cmos?
I'm really new to this.
The only thing I've ever done is install pci cards or added an internal cd-rom or hard-drive.
I've never played with jumpers or switches or anything.
I don't even know what they look like!
I wanted to rebuild the old computer I have to learn how.
I looked on the board and I couldn't even find the cmos.
All I found was the Processor, the On-board video chipset,
the on-board ram which is something like has like 8 megs, and my bios chip.

Sicco1

Registered
Jumpers are usually small plastic pieces that stick right up from your mainboard, and they are placed over iron pins to connect those.

If you are able to locate them, look for the on with the text "clear CMOS" , or something like that next to it. Usually you have to place the jumper for a few seconds therto clear the CMOS.
Try to find a manual of your mainboard for specific details
You should be able to find them on the net.

ok, good luck:cool:

OP
R

retarded130

Registered
you mean that little round batter on the motherboard?
what's that for?
And thank sI found the jumpers, they were like you said, little place pieces on pin's but thier is are sets of pin's next to them,
what do I do? Take the jumpers off then put them back on?
or can I just take all the jumpers off?
thanks again for the info

Sicco1

Registered
The battery helps storing the info in your cmos, and removing it and later placing it back might do the trick.

There are probably a lot of jumpers on your board, with one of them for clearing your cmos. How exactly this is done depends on your mainboard specs. On an old pentium I own there's 3 pins for the cmos jumper (the jumpers is located on 2 of course). To clear cmos I have to place the jumper on the other position (only one possibility) for a few seconds. So like I said before, Try finding a manual

This will also tell you with which jupers you can adjust the FSB or maby even your multiplier.
If you are lucky there will be a table on your mainboard with this info also. Also, some old cases have info on the inside of the case....
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Good luck

OP
R

retarded130

Registered
I must have the worst luck,
I had my Motherboard on my little workbench in the basement.
Covered up by itself to separate it from dust and stuff.
and when I got back to play with it somemore, I find that some inconsiderate person has knocked it to the floor!
lost lots of the jumpers that came with it,
thanks every one, But I think I'm just going to get a used board of system and play with that.
later