• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's been a while, finally building a new comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SomeEngineerGuy

Hello everyone,
this is my first time posting. It's been about 10 years since I built my last computer, and I haven't been caught up with the latest technology. I'm looking to build a budget PC for about $600-750, and I need a CPU for about $100, no more than 150.

I will be using the computer to run AutoCAD, Civil 3D, STAAD, and some light gaming. I'm not expecting to work on huge files completely smoothly, or run the latest games on the highest graphics possible, but I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm not looking to overclock.

I was looking at the AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 6 core, AMD FX-4300 Vishera Quad Core, and the Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge Dual Core... Or something else for under 150? What would your expert recommendations be?

Also, I suppose I don't need a fancy motherboard since I will not be overclocking...

The graphic card I could probably spend $150 on, I will get a Samsung 840 pro, and I'm guessing I will need about 8 gigs of RAM.

Could someone please help me put together a good build for this price? Oh, and I will be running Windows 8 Pro since I have an extra copy laying around.

Ignore one's you've already answered:

Hey, welcome to OCF! :beer:

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Oops, sorry. My first post and I already messed up... Peripheals I already have. I live in the US, I like to buy from Newegg or whatever site has good deals but if Microcenter has great deals it is about 30 minutes away.

I plan on having a mid-size tower or a bigger tower. The noise doesn't matter too much. I would prefer not to have to upgrade, and I do not plan to use SLI or Crossfire

Back