• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's Gettin Chilly...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
in my basement. :)

My extra watercooling bits and this old water fountain are currently being transformed...
th_DSC01053.jpg th_DSC01055.jpg

into a CPU cooler. :beer:
th_DSC01079.jpg
I filled it & found another leak in the storage tank, so that is being sealed with a little JB Weld. Hopefully I'll be testing it with a anti-freeze/water blend tomorrow.

Spawn-Inc

looks great accept for the hardware store tubing... gross with cool temps.

can't wait for the results.

wonder how the compressor will deal with constant running.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
That's my style :) Looks great! Make sure the compressor and condenser don't get too hot and you should probably just remove the thermostat for even colder temps. What CPU will you be cooling with this?

Also, why the negative comment about tubing that you don't spend stupid money on and need to have shipped to your house? I use the cheap stuff all the time, don't see any reason to order tubing online when it's so cheap and just as good locally.

OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I plan on starting out chilling a few old s478 P4's since I've never had to insulate a board. I'd hate to kill a nice LGA775 board "experimenting". Once I feel comfortable with the process I plan on moving to my X6800, then to the E8600.

Thanks for reminding me about compressor cooling (the condenser should be fine), I should probably add a fan to the housing for the compressor. It's a 310 watt Danfoss, BTW. That's almost a half a horse! :eek:

Spawn is right about this tubing. It was really cheap stuff from Lowes (5 minutes away), and I decided not to get the nice stuff from Microcenter (20 minutes away) solely on cost. The anti-kink wrap that I had laying around has been real helpful with this tubing though.

Spawn-Inc

That's my style :) Looks great! Make sure the compressor and condenser don't get too hot and you should probably just remove the thermostat for even colder temps. What CPU will you be cooling with this?

Also, why the negative comment about tubing that you don't spend stupid money on and need to have shipped to your house? I use the cheap stuff all the time, don't see any reason to order tubing online when it's so cheap and just as good locally.

in colder temps it gets rigid and doesn't seal right. i've tried it for a test loop and it leaked at a fitting.

i can get 10 feet of masterkleer for $4.90 from jabtech. that doesn't include shipping but i order it each time i get a loop.

OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
The JB Weld worked like a dream & I'm currently circulating just water for leak testing. So far so dry. :)
th_DSC01084.jpg

thezfunk

Registered
I have wanted to do this so bad. I keep seeing these water fountains ripped out too. Then I find them in storage but nobody wants to let me have one!

I would setup a thermostat so it doesn't cool below ambient. Then, I don't need to worry about condensation.

OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
OP
JLK03F150

JLK03F150

What have I done! Member
I'm making some headway with it. Almost got 4.5GHz out of my old s478 3.4 Prescott. :)