• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

it's my B'day, and I'll game if I want to...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
well its my B'day and the fedex man rang my bell with 3 games from the family.

lock on:modern air combat
SW:KotOR
X2 the threat

I'm mostly into FPS but I heared some great thing about kotor, and while LOMAC may seem hard, I realy need to give it a try.
I know very little about X2, yet it got a great review here.

anyone playing any of the above?
what are your thoughts?

mica

P.S. I think I'll start by fireing up KOTOR and install lomac in the morning....
 

Papier

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2003
Location
Houston, Texas
I haven't tried the other two, but I played that lock-on demo. It's no arcade for sure! I"m not really into flight sims, but even then it's not too bad. And besides, it has the a-10. :)

Hmm... from that review, X-2 looked pretty sweet. Are they going to release any demos of it soon? I loved Freelancer and this looks like something I'll like.
 

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
micamica1217 said:
well its my B'day and the fedex man rang my bell with 3 games from the family.

lock on:modern air combat
SW:KotOR
X2 the threat

I'm mostly into FPS but I heared some great thing about kotor, and while LOMAC may seem hard, I realy need to give it a try.
I know very little about X2, yet it got a great review here.

anyone playing any of the above?
what are your thoughts?

mica

P.S. I think I'll start by fireing up KOTOR and install lomac in the morning....


Frag on Bro!!:attn: :attn: And happy B-day homes!:clap: :clap:

Mica, I have been eyeing both X2 & kotor but haven't got the guts to spade out any $ yet. I dont' wanna get a dud! I bought Deus Ex 2 and am really dissapointed in the "craptacular" graphics!

Let us know how these games are cause I want a new one.
 

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Lusankya said:
If you want opinions about KOTOR.. there is a thread I mand thats about 6 pages long

Why should I? Because you started the thread? I am asking Mica whom I happen to know and trust. Besides I have already seen your thread....several days ago. Right now I'd like to ask Mica.
 

YellowDart

Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Location
Mesa, AZ
X2 looks pretty intriguing. When you mentioned the name, I thought it was based on the recent X-Men movies. =P I was wrong! It looks pretty kewl, the review scores I've seen have been reasonably good. Sounds like it's a good game, not GREAT, but good. I'll wait for GameSpot or GamePro to review it. They're usually pretty reliable.

You can download a demo here.

BTW: for what it's worth, GameSpy reviewed it too, and gave it 4 out of 5. Not too shabby, since they're usually pretty critical in their reviews.

I've heard a lot of good things about KOTOR. I've been wanting to get it. Just not sure if I should go PC or X-Box... Dilemmas... :D

Happy (belated) Birthday bro!
 
OP
micamica1217

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Re: Re: it's my B'day, and I'll game if I want to...

krag said:



Frag on Bro!!:attn: :attn: And happy B-day homes!:clap: :clap:

Mica, I have been eyeing both X2 & kotor but haven't got the guts to spade out any $ yet. I dont' wanna get a dud! I bought Deus Ex 2 and am really dissapointed in the "craptacular" graphics!

Let us know how these games are cause I want a new one.

first, I'd like to thank everyone for the warm birthday wishies....

krag,

as I've said, I don't normaly play games like this, I'm realy into FPS.
the last realy good game I got was max payne2.

I've played KOTOR for about two hrs now....
all I can say is wow.
easy to learn, and lots of eye candy.
playing at 1024x768 2XAA and 4XAF...I get about 25-35fps, depending on the scene.
don't let the low frame rate fool you, it plays smooth as silk.
it's a slow going from time to time, mostly because it's not a true action game....this is more a RPG, yet mica likes it sofar.
I'm still on the first planet, with not too much money...so I need to get some before I can do much.
although I haven't played much, this is realy drawing me in....
and I'm not a big star wars fan.
(well the sink is full, and I need to clean the house from the party...maybe that will tell you how much I like the game)

as for LOMAC(I know you didn't ask), this is a true fixed wing flight sim....
no arcade game here.
I only played the demo, and it was real hard for me.
anyone remember the helo game, enemy engaged???
I was one mean bad a$$ in that game.
anyway, I joined up with the Black Kights of the 667th(clan)...
maybe they can help a poor fella out.
didn't install the full copy yet, but it (the demo)ran fine on my rig...with better settings then KOTOR.

now we have X2-the threat....sorry krag but I'm not going to install it for a while.
it looks sooo good, but I'll have my hands full with the new star wars game and lomac.
if I finish KOTOR soon, I'll install it and play for a while....
then I'll send you a PM and tell you what I think.

as for KOTOR, again it's realy cool....you'll want it if your into RPGs
it wont disapoint you.;)

now as for dues ex2....man I'm so glad that I didn't get that game....once I heared that it was a dues exbox port I sat back and waited.
just ask me what my all time favorite game is.....
yes, it is the original dues ex.:clap:
now that was a game.
anyway, I still may get the DE2 game for my B'day from my sister's kid....he loved the demo, so I might get it anyway.

mica
 

KaHNZa

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2001
Location
West Central MN
krag said:


Why should I? Because you started the thread? I am asking Mica whom I happen to know and trust. Besides I have already seen your thread....several days ago. Right now I'd like to ask Mica.

Whoa man. Be mindful that emotions come through more than you may think on the forum. And can just as easily be misinterpreted as a bad attitude. Please be mindful of your words in the future. ;):)
 
OP
micamica1217

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
KaHNZa,

happy upcoming 21st birthday.....
you are so not going to remember any of it. :p

mica

P.S. so, do you also get ripped off with only one present for xmas and B'day too?
 

KaHNZa

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2001
Location
West Central MN
micamica1217 said:
KaHNZa,

happy upcoming 21st birthday.....
you are so not going to remember any of it. :p

mica

P.S. so, do you also get ripped off with only one present for xmas and B'day too?

I don't usually get ripped off to bad. Usually 2 smaller gifts instead of 1 great one. Oh well, its a lifelong curse I guess.:rolleyes: :D
 

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
KaHNZa said:


Whoa man. Be mindful that emotions come through more than you may think on the forum. And can just as easily be misinterpreted as a bad attitude. Please be mindful of your words in the future. ;):)

If an attitude is unacceptable.....why are these available for use....:mad: :argue: :temper: :bang head ??

These little icons are far harsher than anything I had to say earlier, but I did not include them, nor exclamation points or capitolized letters.
 
Last edited:

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Re: Re: Re: it's my B'day, and I'll game if I want to...

micamica1217 said:


first, I'd like to thank everyone for the warm birthday wishies....

krag,

as I've said, I don't normaly play games like this, I'm realy into FPS.
the last realy good game I got was max payne2.

I've played KOTOR for about two hrs now....
all I can say is wow.
easy to learn, and lots of eye candy.
playing at 1024x768 2XAA and 4XAF...I get about 25-35fps, depending on the scene.
don't let the low frame rate fool you, it plays smooth as silk.
it's a slow going from time to time, mostly because it's not a true action game....this is more a RPG, yet mica likes it sofar.
I'm still on the first planet, with not too much money...so I need to get some before I can do much.
although I haven't played much, this is realy drawing me in....
and I'm not a big star wars fan.
(well the sink is full, and I need to clean the house from the party...maybe that will tell you how much I like the gam

Thats it....thats all I have to know! I'm gonna get it and [email protected] the threat!!

BTW bro, I thought Max Payne 2 rocked!!! Even thought it was DX8.1 graphics it was still way killer eye candy....rock star did a KILLER job on the game. I just wish it were.......l-o-n-g-e-r!!:p
 

Lusankya

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Location
Da Windy City / Chicago
krag said:


Why should I? Because you started the thread? I am asking Mica whom I happen to know and trust. Besides I have already seen your thread....several days ago. Right now I'd like to ask Mica.

After having read the rest of the posts above and seeing your rather ****y attitude..

I shall simply say this...

I wasn't talking to you.. Did you ask for an opinion of KOTOR?? NO.. the starter of this thread did. Gee does that mean I may have been talking to him? Read before you open your mouth
 
OP
micamica1217

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Lusankya said:


After having read the rest of the posts above and seeing your rather ****y attitude..

I shall simply say this...

I wasn't talking to you.. Did you ask for an opinion of KOTOR?? NO.. the starter of this thread did. Gee does that mean I may have been talking to him? Read before you open your mouth

I saw your original KOTOR post a while ago...that's why I gave the game a chance.
(I'm glad I did:D )

btw, I think krag just had a misunderstanding of what was going on....
let's all shake hands, and be friends.

as for the game, I'm about to go into the suwer to get the wookie....
any tips or hints you could give me???
(btw, I didn't lvl up past 2nd...when do I get the jedi power ups?)

thanks in advance
mica
 

Lusankya

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Location
Da Windy City / Chicago
Don't lvl up anymore... you CAN get past Taris w/o being higher then lvl 2

Just lvl up your companions and use them wisely to attack targets as needed.

I used a scoundrel.. using a stealth belt preposition your characters. When I went up against the Black Vulkner boss and his buddy in the apartment.. I stopped outside in the ahll out of sight. Stealthed my PC and Mission, both equiped with bladed weapons opened the door and positioned both characters behind an NME. Then I paused it, set my PC and mission to do critical strikes (mission has improvved critical strike and her sneak attack comes into play here also). Unpaused the game.. both characters "decloaked" and criticaled them.. 1 hit they both went down.. not a single shot fired. and my PC was still lvl 2 when I got off Taris.

But use stealth and sneak up on opponets.. then run your non stealthing character (whom should always be just around the corner out of sight) into range and go to town

And remember.. on Taris you can always transit back to the apartments for an instant heal before the next battle
 

OC Noob

Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2002
Location
Phoenix, AZ USA
micamica1217 said:


I saw your original KOTOR post a while ago...that's why I gave the game a chance.
(I'm glad I did:D )

btw, I think krag just had a misunderstanding of what was going on....
let's all shake hands, and be friends.

as for the game, I'm about to go into the suwer to get the wookie....
any tips or hints you could give me???
(btw, I didn't lvl up past 2nd...when do I get the jedi power ups?)

thanks in advance
mica


Once you get off Taris the game really gets rolling. Taris is the slowest part of the game. I was level 7 when I got off Taris... I think and the game was easy. Are the extra Jedi levels really worth it or are they just overkill?
 

Lusankya

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2002
Location
Da Windy City / Chicago
Depends on if you are light or dark.. if you are dark you get more force options...

Remember.. other then lockpicking or mine removal.. you can do pretty much anything with very low skills. If you NEEd something unlocked.. you can switch party members right where you are usually.. just swap out a party member.. bring out mission.. unlock the door then switch back to your origional choice
 
OP
micamica1217

micamica1217

Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Lusankya, and everyone else....

thanks for the tips.
I'm still on taris, man I feal like I've been playing for hrs....:p
(oh, crap, the kids just got up...that means I've been playing all night:eek: )
*just saw the cut sene of darth malak saying to blow up the planet*

anyway, this game's a blast...I cant believe I like a RPG.:D

again, thanks guys for the tips.

krag, looks like this is one long game....may take me a few days before I come close to finishing it....
eight worlds, and I'm still on the first.:beer:

mica
 

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
micamica1217 said:
krag, looks like this is one long game....may take me a few days before I come close to finishing it....
eight worlds, and I'm still on the first.:beer:

mica

Awesome! I like long games, it makes me feel like I got my moneys worth. I am gonna get it, proly tomorrow cause I have 5 days off for the Christmas holiday!:eek: And it looks like it's gonna be something like...."it's Christmas vacation and I'll game if I want to...."


Alright....Lusanka...."I need to apologise to you...:rolleyes:. Some times i can be a jerk...and I was "all that" yesterday. I am sorry all you were trying to do was be helpful....plese forgive me. thanks, krag