• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ITT Tech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eli

I've been thinking about switching to ITT for a BS in computer securities. Are there any members that went to ITT that could give me some advice or perhaps their experience with it?

Anything would be welcomed.

nealric

I would be wary of touching ITT with a 34 + 1/2 foot pole.

Im skeptical of any "for profit" school.
They care more about the bottom line than actually educating their students.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
so.....is there any school that you like? What school isn't for profit? They have to make money somehow to pay instructors and better the school.

nealric

Most accredited schools are non profit organizations.

Any state school is definetly non-profit
Most good private colleges are also non profit orgs- you get a tax credit when you give to them :)

They make money, but then so does the red cross- it just pays expenses.

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
nealric said:
I would be wary of touching ITT with a 34 + 1/2 foot pole.

Im skeptical of any "for profit" school.
They care more about the bottom line than actually educating their students.

Have to agree from 2 past experience with for profit schools. One my own and my others my sister's, both schools are out of business now.

CrazyP

ITT tech has non transferable credits, at least here in south texas . a friend of mine had to quit ITT tech and instead started going to a closer school, but he had to take all his courses over again because they wouldnt transfer any

Mr.Guvernment

what about the online portions?

does anyone know of any good "online" schools or ones that offer online programs?

itizme

is that the place that has the old mobo with isa slots and a slot one processor card edge recepticle??

If so I would be overcautious!!!

Renigade

I currently go to ITT Tech... Sometimes I regret I did, but sometimes its good. ITT has sold out. They now spend more on advertising then on their stupid books. They get almost all their books from a company named NIIT. If you say the word NIIT to any ITT student, they will pull out a gun and shoot you....... many times. These books are so hideous that it wastes our, the students, time and the instructors time. The instructor has to go through the books word by word before they can teach the class because they have to edit out anything that is wrong or JUST PLAIN STUPID *twitch*. This is administration's problem, not the teachers, the teachers can be pretty good. Things are changing and the NIIT books are getting a little better, but I would still be cautious about ITT.

If you are interested, ask if they still use NIIT books (anything before the hmmm.... 25th edition aren't acceptable (slight exaggeration)), and how new many of the teachers are, or ask about the teacher's credentials. I say this because there are 3 teachers at my school now who just about make up for the crappy NIIT books (I say just about only because I can't have them in every class, but every class I have them in is very, very high quality)

EDIT: ITT is very good about hands-on experience though, and because class sizes are small you get personal attention. You get a lot of hands on with Win2k, setting up domains, DNS, file servers, DFS, replication, domain masters and all kinds of cool 2k server stuff.

Renigade

Dont take online courses!!! Especially online computer courses! For a lot of stuff you need to have 1) a teacher to explain stuff to you and 2) hands on experience.