• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ITX HTPC build aka Adventures in Haswell

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
~88W under load, max (not counting APU as I'm not using it). That's 8 cores/16 threads but with AVX it runs at 3.5-4.0GHz. In games etc, the boost is 4.6GHz+. The performance core to core is more like Ryzen 3000 so significantly better than the 4000 APU series. I could play some with manual settings one day.
11700K had about ~150-170W in games at lowered voltages (clocks at auto, just offset -0.06V or something and lower SA).

The main problem for me is that the graphics card is heating up everything inside but CPU or graphics card temps are acceptable, with no throttling, etc. The exhaust is 240 rad on top of the case +92mm fan on the back, so I have a choice to run the CPU at 20°C more and keep it quiet, or run fans at a much higher speed what is annoying for longer.
So, the CPU/GPU temps are fine but for example, with 11700K/Z590, M.2 SSD had ~75°C+, PCH temp was ~80°C+, RAM had ~70°C and the pump is next to the RAM, on the way of the hot air from the graphics card. With the 5700G, there is no problem with M.2/PCH temps but RAM still goes up to ~65°C. Not a big problem but could be lower.
The PC I'm talking about started as this click, and it wasn't bad but was getting hot. Later I modded the case and it looks like this click, but in the last days I changed the CPU to 5700G, and the graphics card is now Gigabyte RX6700XT.

I already killed one DDC in a small case as CPU temps were fine but the coolant itself had like 50°C+ and the recommended max temp for the pump is about 60°C.
You can see even in the history of this thread how many ITX builds I made. Probably all posted were successful ... some others less ;) At least now I know what I shouldn't do ... and it's not always obvious.

I wish I had a coolant temp gauge on this, but my GPU temps would track the coolant temps very closely when it was still in my Fractal R6 loop. I could be getting close to 50C. I believe for casual gaming this setup should be fine. Just no overclocking. It could even be a portable vacation mobile rig if I cared to.

Mini rigs are addicting ... in some time you realize that you made another PC with no purpose that looks great ;)

Indeed. I can see the attraction of building something small, yet powerful enough, balancing all of the compromises that go with limited volume.

Heck, just look at my sig. I've also got a Socket A build in the works, too.

Mini rigs are addicting ... in some time you realize that you made another PC with no purpose that looks great ;)

Indeed. I can see the attraction of building something small, yet powerful enough, balancing all of the compromises that go with limited volume.

Heck, just look at my sig. I've also got a Socket A build in the works, too.

Mini rigs are also contagious. After reading this I am doing a mini Ryzen currently. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing that socket A build Jas. :)

Need to re-cap that NF7 first. Then plug in your 3200+ Barton.

Trying to hunt down a real nice AGP card, either a 6800GT/Ultra or HD4670. Best one I have is a GF3 Ti200 and my first card, a Kyro 2.

Need to re-cap that NF7 first. Then plug in your 3200+ Barton.

Trying to hunt down a real nice AGP card, either a 6800GT/Ultra or HD4670. Best one I have is a GF3 Ti200 and my first card, a Kyro 2.
Will look through my AGP stash for you. ;)

How much stuff do you have?!?!?!?!

Lol.
More than my wife would like me to have.
A couple full size walk in closets packed floor to ceiling. They are no longer walk in.
Maybe a little bit more than that because I have stuff stashed in a couple more spots.

Back