• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'VE DONE IT! please critisize

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weponhead

Ok .. i finally made a window , with the assistance of my dad .. not the greatest thing in the world but i think it looks right perty for a first time job! anyway .. i dont have pics of it on my comp yet because i am lacking the oh so amazing adhesive of choice.. Please post your preferance on a adherent .. so now i have picitures!

first pic of window ...
window1.JPG

second pic of window
window2.JPG

and my psycho kitty
meankat1.JPG

that's all folks ! begin the thoughts..

Miknow

Looks like pac man oh and you have a fat ***Edit, do you really need to swear, does it make you cool?*** cat

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
weponhead

weponhead

THATS NOT FAT... well he's tubby .. and we have another cat whos really fat ..
[edit] gracias to neon for the hosting [edit]

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Looks good man :D The window, that is !

I like the fan grill too- might be a bit restrictive, but it is much cooler looking than the standard grills.

And I have a cat fatter than that too: Halloween evening as I was handing out candy he ran outside and the guy said something to the effect of " Your little dog got out. Boy is he fast!"

LOL When I told him it was a cat he said he was an awful wide bugger! rotflmao! So I need to hang a "wide load" sign off him now....:D [/end thread hijack]

I bought a plain-jane kit for my window, so it had the little gasket; I have heard of using silicone or double-sided tape though.

OP
weponhead

weponhead

No folding .. crunching at the moment.. and i dunno about silicon caulk as a adhesive.. it tends to give.. and the weight of the window and fan may cause it to sag..

elekt

i like the corners, they look very smooth and well cut, but hte two triangle points i dont like, i dont know why, they are cut fine, but they just dont suit my taste, good job tho, tell your dad thank you, or ellse you would have ahd a big jagged craphole, jk.

Stumpjumper5200

Suggestion:

I bought my case pre-modded (from Xoxide, yeah I'm lazy, blah blah blah) and they installed this rubber molding around the window. looks very clean. The only problem I can see tho, is making it go nicely around those two points :rolleyes:

Yakbak

Can you take a pic of the inside side of the window panel? I want to see how the window and metal attach...

What material did you use and how thick is it?

Looks great, btw. :)

JDXNC

Nice Window.... but DUDE!!!!!! YOU CAT LOOKS JUST LIKE MINE!

P9150004.jpg

PS... he's a comlete phsyco too! must be common with yellow cats ;)

DaveSauce

dear god, those cats are insane. My cat has nothing on yours...

Anyway, theres your next project. Mod your cat!

Oh yea, and as for adherents....

You can get rubber molding that will attach the window to the case, but it won't make those corners, and its hard to use when you've already cut the hole in the case. The next most popular method is essentially bolting it on. I think that most people use case screws or somethingI would definately recommend one of those two methods. If you want to 'glue' it on, use something strong like rubber cement....go to your local hardware store and tell them you want to glue a piece of plastic to a piece of metal, and you want it to stay on. I'm not sure of the staying power of a lot of adhesives for metal and plastic. I would definately recommend sanding both the plastic and the metal where you intend to glue it....makes for a better hold. One of the case mods at CrazyPC.com uses 3M double sided tape to hold it on.....they say it works well, but I wouldnt trust it. case mod with double sided tape

pic of the rubber molding at work:

z40inside

pic of bolting at work:

side4.jpg

DaveSauce

oh yea, and now that I have a dremel, I'll be posting my window mod when I get it done, w00t. I'm not sure if i'm going to do a basic window, or if I want to something cool....either way, i'm going to etch the AMD symbol in the window, and add a green cold cathode....seeing as the AMD symbol is green. eh? And I dont know if I want to bolt it or use the molding....im not sure if I like the look of the screws...kinda contrasts more intricate designs. but oh well

hydrata

hmmm, a lot of people like rubber molding, but i hear it's a royal pain to put on, and i also don't like the look of it at all. what i did with my window is just put some double-sided tape on the panel, and cut the plexi a bit bigger than the window, and stuck it right on, it holds real well, maybe even a litlte too well!!! couldn't do much adjuting after it adhered with the tape.

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Stay away from the rubber moulding. It IS a royal PITA to put together. I would say get some edge molding to cover the metal edges, and then glue the window to the back side. Looks better than the rubber to IMHO.

OP
weponhead

weponhead

I personally would like to leave the metal bare with no moulding and my lexan is not attached yet , its also cut JUST enough to fit inside the confines of the door and around the handle .. so i didnt just cut it to the size of the window i was thinking about getting some double sided tabe then it would be more replaceable if i scratch the lexan too much and want to put a new piece in .. haha thanks for all the comments guys ,