• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I've read, searched, but need advice on RAID Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDGuy

I've ordered a new system to replace my aging AMD Opteron setup.

Intel i5 750
4GB OCZ Platinum 10666 (2x2GB)
Gigabyte P55 UD3R Mainboard
MSI Radeon R4670 Graphics Card
2 x WD Caviar Green 1.5TB Drives
Megahalem CPU Cooler

I do plan a decent overclock of this system, if that affects the RAID setup at all.

I have 2 x 500GB Hitachi Ultrastar 32MB Cache and 2 x 250GB Maxtor Maxline III 16mb cache drives to go along with the 1.5TB Caviar drives. The Hitachi and Maxtor's are from stock I had laying around the house from previous systems and the WDs are new drives.

SO, the question is what to setup as far a a RAID solution for performance and redundancy using the drives above?

I DO NOT GAME. My main heavy use activity is HD video editing.

I was considering:

500GB Hitachis in RAID 1 for OS/swap file and programs split in to two partitions - 100GB for OS/progs/swap and 400GB for data space such as documents, utilities, etc.

250GB Maxtors in RAID 0 for temp video space for editing (performance while editing)

1.5TB WDs in RAID 1 for data storage (completed video projects etc).

I have a 1TB external USB drive that I keep pretty good backups on today and will use that on the new system as well.

Or should I split the 500GB Hitachis into two partitions:

100GB RAID 0 - OS and Programs (for quick boot and use)
400GB RAID1 for some data

I wasn't sure how much of a PITA the above split would be in the event of a drive failure as far as recovery goes.

Thanks in advance. I'm an IT Pro, so RAID isn't new to me, but we strictly use RAID 1 at work for redundancy not performance, so this setup is a bit different than I'm used to as I don't deal with desktops to know their strengths and weaknesses.

tuskenraider

Your first consideration looks right on. I wouldn't consider doing a Matrix setup on the Hitachis as you have more than enough drives to bother compromising with that.

hank123

raid 1 is great to make sure that you dont lose anything. keep note that it will write a little slower. Read will be bout the same.

Raid 0 is great. Very fast. I love my raid 0. I will never go back to just a single drive.

karkas

raid 1 is great to make sure that you dont lose anything. keep note that it will write a little slower. Read will be bout the same.

Raid 0 is great. Very fast. I love my raid 0. I will never go back to just a single drive.

I thought reads on RAID1 were faster than single drives?:chair:

tuskenraider

I thought reads on RAID1 were faster than single drives?:chair:
They can be if the controller has onboard cache to handle accelerated reads. No onboard RAID controllers like this exist and plug in cards that do = $$$.