• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ivy Bridge Engineering Sample OC HELP! Need pro advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattmanbass

Registered
Ok so here goes, im new to the forum, and i dont know much about this stuff, but i have acquired an Intel Genuine Ivy Bridge processor (ES), i was told it was a downclocked 3770, but i have no way to be sure what it actually is. Its clock speed is 2.2 idle and 2.5 using turbo boost. Under load the temp for this chip is never above 40-45 C.

The guy i bought it from said he had it stable at 4 ghz, however when i go to overclock it the multiplier only goes up to x26. So does that mean the max i can overclock this chip is 2.6 GHZ? There is an option to raise the BCLK in the motherboard, but i dont fully understand how that works so i havnt messed with it.

I want to say the chip does everything i need it to right now, and i realistically dont NEED to OC it, but i would really like to. I have an ASrock Extreme4 Mobo and a GTX 560TI 448, 8 gig memory (only 1300mhz). I ran 3d mark11 and the score was only 6150 or something, i have seen people with similar systems but with higher clocked processors get almost twice that score.

Anyways i guess all that to ask if anyone has any ideas on how i can get the most out of this processor? Especially with it being a ES and not the norm. I will post CPUID or any other diagnostic info you may need tonight if it will help figure this thing out! Just let me know what you need.

Thanks!

No idea what that CPU would even be... The lowest clocked Ivybridge is 2.5GHz and there are no SB CPU's at 2.2Ghz.

The 3dMark11 score seems about right to be honest... No way were people hitting double that with that GPU.

Can you post a CPUz screenshot of the first tab and mainboard tab (host at the site, see instructions below)?

Not sure how he would have had it at 4GHz unless its actually a sandybridge CPU on socket 2011 and he used the bclk 'gearing' to get there...but they start out way higher at 3.3GHz I believe. Perhaps the bios on your board doesnt recognize it right?

Host image: OCFinsertimages.png

I will post the 3d mark 11 and CPUz info when i get off work, It is definatly ivy bridge, it says in CPUz, and its definatly weird, i have researched and cant find any other chip like it, is there anything else you need to see? And for the record i dont see how he got it to 4ghz either, although the temps are so low it makes me think its gotta be capable of more than 2.6.

I will post the 3d mark 11 and CPUz info when i get off work, It is definatly ivy bridge, it says in CPUz, and its definatly weird, i have researched and cant find any other chip like it, is there anything else you need to see? And for the record i dont see how he got it to 4ghz either, although the temps are so low it makes me think its gotta be capable of more than 2.6.
Yeah.. if the max multi is 26 (sounds like a turbo multiplier so a locked CPU) than your bclk would need to be where it cant possible go to reach 4Ghz. Either that or, your mobo needs a bios update and/or cant support that CPU fully or last, that guy was straight up lieing to you about hitting 4Ghz.

Dont worry about the 3d11 score.. as I said, its normal really.

Earthdog, Good to know about the 3dmark score, im going to just assume the guy lied about the OC, and throw that expectation out the window lol, Hopefully with help i can squeeze a bit more out of the CPU,

"your mobo needs a bios update and/or cant support that CPU fully"

For what its worth, i did flash the mobo bios to the latest version when i was assembling everything a few weeks ago, so i believe it should be up to date.

Im wondering if i should just sell it and get a 3570k or something, although im not really sure if i could even get much for it. I probably shouldve researched what i was getting a bit more lol

Well, the board new is $130.. that leaves about $150 for the processor.You could have had a 3570K @ $190 + that board new for the same cost (if you have a microcenter around you or bought a used 3570k).

You bought the Asrock Extreme 4, 8 gig of 1333 ram and that chip for $279? If it will do 4 gig like it was said then it seems like a fair price. You could have done this if you live near a micro center, though I would get at least ddr3 1600 on the ram.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 153
yeah, i do have a microcenter, in hindsight i probably shouldve gone that route, since it doesnt appear to be much hope of overclocking this one.... :facepalm:

YOu can add more than one picture to a post as well. Also note if you hold down alt then prnt screen it only captures the top (active) window.

Thats such a weird chip. LOW voltage though, WOW!

so any thoughts on options? Not sure if i have any way to proceed to try to overclock. Let me know if you need any more info.

Back