• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IVY E soldered TIM as expected, see pic of delidded/killed one

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RGE

Topcc (who benched his ES 4770k and ES 3770k and published accurate results before NDA was up on either), also posted his IVY E ES 4960X showing small performance gain over Sandy E on same forum and was quoted on techpowerup...
http://www.techpowerup.com/183176/c...ghly-10-faster-than-i7-3970x-early-tests.html

Then, after being incorrectly told by some on internet his IVY E 4960X had paste tim, despite no mention of temp issues, he delidded it. Though after cutting adhesive, he then had to use a heat gun (realizing it was likely soldered at that point) and pry it apart, ended up killing his cpu...then lot of cussing. but can clearly see solder on his dead cpu...

http://translate.google.com/transla...E8%84%82-%E8%B6%95%E7%BE%9A%E7%BE%8A%E5%8B%92

Cool! I like this thread better than the other one as at least this one has the right info (that its Solder and not paste).

One would think these would have to be using the solder considering their 125W 6 core nature versus the 77W quad...

Like I said in the other thread, I think this chip is dead because of the busted capacitors around the processor.

Good to hear; hopefully they'll be cold-bug free like most of their smaller brethren. :)

YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS !

good guys Intel.

listens to people.

unlike scumbag EA.
won't fix its games

Then, after being incorrectly told by some on internet his IVY E 4960X had paste tim, despite no mention of temp issues, he delidded it. Though after cutting adhesive, he then had to use a heat gun (realizing it was likely soldered at that point) and pry it apart, ended up killing his cpu...then lot of cussing. but can clearly see solder on his dead cpu...

To delid that IHS from the die, at least one must used a "temperature controlled" rework station, so the heated part will not be overheated above certain temperature threshold.

Using just an ordinary heat gun is just suicidal, its no different than just using an el-cheapo butane gas lighter. :facepalm:

An example of a professional hot air rework station that the temperature can be "strictly" controlled.

products_hakko_fr803b_img.jpg

Yeah .. too bad, its not an average Joe's toy.

Last edited:
Sounds like I'm going to be very happy with my Ivy-e... Now to find out if the mobo makers are going to refresh their motherboards!

YYYYYYEEEEEESSSSSSSS !

good guys Intel.

listens to people.

unlike scumbag EA.
won't fix its games

they still used TIM on their Haswell chips....using solder on their most expensive consumer chips doesn't really constitutes as listening to the consumer ;)

bing, that would have been nice to have ~5-6 years ago when i was deliding soldered and tim cpus trying to figure out tjmax on some cpus in realtemp thread on xtreme.

I used a blow torch...but one uses what one has :D . I managed to delid a few without killing them, though one died instantly when i started the computer with no IHS, no cooling solution, prochot disabled, trying to measure die temp with IR gun, got one reading then smoke and pop despite having camera taking constant fast pics. Then when that failed, started drilling holes in IHS, first holding a calibrated thermocouple in place, then soldered one in place...then drilled holes part way into die...some worked after that, some not so well. Found some of my old testing pics.

So I wont be poking fun at using razors and a heat gun, given my past attempts :D

first try with IR gun and delided cpu, got one temp reading upon starting computer...just before cpu smoked/melted/died, second pic is dead die....usually with prochot disabled they shutdown at ~130C...but last temp I saw was above that.
IHSoff1.jpg
melteddie.jpg

then better method of drilling holes through IHS, and some tried drilling partway into die with "varying" success.
drilledcpus_pst1jpg.jpg

pic of trying to hold thermocouple against die with thermal paste....later soldered one to die which worked better.
drilled cpus 015.jpg

one of sacrificed drilled heatsinks...to allow method central drilled holes, prior to milling channel and fitting under heatsink.
drilled cpus 032.jpg

you beat me into posting this. i was quite excited when i read that. :)

Your findings lead me even more to agree with ATM. I doubt his cpu was killing in the process of heating and pulling the lid. More like is the fact that 10+ capacitors are simply no longer connected. Unless the whole circuit (in which those caps functioned) was in parallel, then those caps aren't completing the circuit.

Back