• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill KK-266R v1.2 and 1.2 100 bus cpu working great

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kriegster

Heya everyone. I just received my KK266-R (version 1.2) and 1.2 ghz 100 bus unlocked cpu and it appears to be working fine. I have gotten the bus speed up to 150 so far. I haven't installed my os yet so I will post more info in the next few days. I bought the mobo at KDComputers.com as well as a taisol heatsink. I received them in 5.5 days with ground shipping from time of order. With all the bad vibes being tossed around in the forums I thought I would share that not all the 1.2's are faulty and that at least 1 will manipulate the 1.2 ghz 100 bus cpu properly :) Another point I would like to mention is I don't understand why everyone uses that 60mm 7000 rpm fan on their heatsinks. I mounted a 80mm fan on my taisol that puts out 42 cfm and is very quiet. to make up for the increased fan size i made 2 custom mounting brackets out of old pci slot covers and i spread the tops of the heatsink out so the fan doesnt blow any air outside of the fins :) Seems to work great so far but I will crank the puppy up after I get my os installed. Good luck :)

seabhac (Mar 14, 2001 02:46 p.m.):
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that HSF mod. If you get the time.

Hey bro. I took a couple pics for you, but the quality isn't the greatest as all I have is a 320 res webcam. Anyway all I did was make 2 small "L" brackets, mount them on 2 corners (diagonal) and then fan out the tops of the fins so they extend to the edge of the fan (except for the fins that the "L" brackets are mounted to. I then mounted the fan and that was it. I also mounted a pentium heatsink and 50mm fan to the chipset (w/ paste). I haven't tried overclocking the processor yet, but I was able to boot into win98 at 7 x 166 at cas2 and 4 way interleave. I will try raising the fsb and also the multiplyer when I get everything installed and flash the bios (i am maxed with the bios that came with the board. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Excellent. Glad to hear there is a happy Iwill customer. I'm ordering the 1.2 266 for my KK266 (no raid).

What OS are you running?

im running win98. i am now running at 170 bus at cas2 and 4 way interleave. at 172 i get the black screen of death. I think its the udma for the hard drive perhaps. Im gonna try the turk bios and try to tweak my memory a bit more. Unfortunately my cpu sucks. It can get to about 1300 or so with stability but thats it. Im gonna try to return it and try my luck with a 266 bus 1.2, as i really want to get to about 1.4 ghz. I would like to run at at least 8 x 170 = 1360. right now im running 7.5 x 170. stable enough to install the os and all the drivers though :)

Don't forget your burn in. You might get more outta that cpu by burning it in for awhile at that speed and then trying for more.

yeah maybe. this cpu is weird. bumpin the voltage does nothing. it runs at 1.3 ghz at 1.55 voltage (1.59 under status) . if i can trade it in for a new 266 bus cpu for under 20 bucks im gonna take the chance. doubt it can be much worse. i wish i could return it and score one of those guaranteed 1390 - 1500 cpu's for 299 :) now that i got the high bus i need some horses to push it. hehehehe. The 256mb tonicom pc166 module sure seems to do the trick :)]

Kriegster (Mar 14, 2001 10:55 p.m.):
yeah maybe. this cpu is weird. bumpin the voltage does nothing. it runs at 1.3 ghz at 1.55 voltage (1.59 under status) . if i can trade it in for a new 266 bus cpu for under 20 bucks im gonna take the chance. doubt it can be much worse. i wish i could return it and score one of those guaranteed 1390 - 1500 cpu's for 299 :) now that i got the high bus i need some horses to push it. hehehehe. The 256mb tonicom pc166 module sure seems to do the trick :)]

I gotta ask; where did you get that ram? It does cas2 4 way interweave at 170mhz? Damn! Mine just crapped out trying to do cas2 at 143 mhz.

i bought the 256mb tonicom pc166 stick at pcboost.com. just do a search for pc166 on pricewatch.com. i think its going for around $122 per 256mb stick. they nail you 13.50 for fedex econo saver delivery too :( i saw a review of someone getting a kt7a up to 183 bus at cas3 with it, but they had to disable the udma on the hard drives and also disable agp 4x and something else. If the price drops somewhat i think i will score another stick or two. Hopefully i can send this albatross of a cpu back and get the 266 bus version and perhaps get it to run at 1400 :) 8.5 x 170 =1445 would be awesome, but prolly got as much chance of that as gettin a date with Pamala Anderson :)

Thx for the info. I may order a 128mg stick tommorrow. It looks like I may need it soon. I'm at cas3 now, but I just lowered the multiplier to 6 and I'm doing 6x160..960mhz right now with this duron 700. It tops out about 970mhz so I'm near the top. I may bump it up to 162, but when I went to 160 from 159 my memory scores on sisoft actually went down a bit instead of up.

Well I'm back to 6.5x150. The same Elsa Gladiac GTS that would'nt stay stable with my old BX mobo at 133 fsb has reared it's ugly head again. I may go ahead and get that ram today anyway. Going cas2 at this speed would help and with that turbo bios coming from Iwill, I want ram that will make the best of it.

Yes they said in two weeks or less...YES!!!
BTW can someone explain to me the advantages of buying a 256mb stick of ram over a 128mb stick? Will the extra ram help in games/surfing/word processing that I do with this computer? Just where does the advantage of the extra ram come into play? Sorry off topic but I'm about to buy some ram and really wonder if saving the money getting 128 will bite me on the #ss later.

fallout55 (Mar 15, 2001 01:17 p.m.):
Yes they said in two weeks or less...YES!!!
BTW can someone explain to me the advantages of buying a 256mb stick of ram over a 128mb stick? Will the extra ram help in games/surfing/word processing that I do with this computer? Just where does the advantage of the extra ram come into play? Sorry off topic but I'm about to buy some ram and really wonder if saving the money getting 128 will bite me on the #ss later.

256 will give you better performance in certain apps and games, and your computer will use the swap file less. with ram being as cheap as it is 256mb is pretty much a minimum. also now that ram is cheap more software companies will optimize their software to take advantage of more ram. If you decide to buy 128mb now you can always add some more in the future though.

Yes absolutely - you use only one slot, and likely the entire stick has been assembled from chips out of the same lot and with similar tolerances.

Yo

Thx Yo, So that's why they want $50 for a 128mb stick, but $122 for a 256mb stick. I would do better ponying up the dough now it seems.

Back