• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jagged Lines in games.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikki50

Registered
Im not sure if I should ask this here or not but here we go.......

I recently purchased a new game UT2004 and I had UT2003 and it seems like since I upgraded my computer (ut2003 old computer only) the graphics are simply not as good in UT2004. I get A LOT of jagged lines etc. in 04. Im thinking it’s a driver issue with my card or something. I tired increasing the detail and put everything on highest but it still looks poor in quality. What causes these jagged lines should I turn on aliasing to like 2x before playing the game? I tried the latest drivers from nvidia 56.xx and also my original 44.xx drivers they both look poor, a real bummer. Where I noticed the most was with the shock rifle when the plasma orb explodes it's really jagged and doesn't look nearly as nice as ut2003 and then I started noticing it on older maps from ut2003 the quality just is not the same jagged lines etc.

Any tips for smoothing out these graphics? Turning aliasing on etc.

Another thing I noticed was when I access the display properties in windows the true color 24 bit color bar is not smooth it's color blocked and not smooth like I recall. Is this right? (win 2k)

I installed the omega drivers but uninstalled them thinking this might have degraded some of the video quality to try and increase scoring. I would prefer quality over speed. Upgraded to 56.xx drivers, no help. Next step is to uninstall all drivers and start over.

theELVISCERATOR

tikki50 said:
Im not sure if I should ask this here or not but here we go.......

I recently purchased a new game UT2004 and I had UT2003 and it seems like since I upgraded my computer (ut2003 old computer only) the graphics are simply not as good in UT2004. I get A LOT of jagged lines etc. in 04. Im thinking it’s a driver issue with my card or something. I tired increasing the detail and put everything on highest but it still looks poor in quality. What causes these jagged lines should I turn on aliasing to like 2x before playing the game? I tried the latest drivers from nvidia 56.xx and also my original 44.xx drivers they both look poor, a real bummer. Where I noticed the most was with the shock rifle when the plasma orb explodes it's really jagged and doesn't look nearly as nice as ut2003 and then I started noticing it on older maps from ut2003 the quality just is not the same jagged lines etc.

Any tips for smoothing out these graphics? Turning aliasing on etc.

Another thing I noticed was when I access the display properties in windows the true color 24 bit color bar is not smooth it's color blocked and not smooth like I recall. Is this right? (win 2k)

I installed the omega drivers but uninstalled them thinking this might have degraded some of the video quality to try and increase scoring. I would prefer quality over speed. Upgraded to 56.xx drivers, no help. Next step is to uninstall all drivers and start over.

a ti4600 cant run AA/AF in ut2004 with any speed

turn them all the way up thats what i do heeh...

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
If you don't have anti-aliasing on, that may be the problem.

Increasing resolution also may reduce the appearance of jaggies.

You may find that your hardware and performance may limit you though, and you cannot smooth the jaggies with AA and still get decent framerates.

Ensure you configure the video adapter settings in the cards control panel, as well as in the game also. ;)

wise-skiier said:
try reinstalling, if it don't work

then buy a new video card... or just dont play the game

This is poor advice.

This isn't a software issue so reinstalling won't fix anything - its a configuration issue.

With the driver changes he has made it is possible that his performance is not as good as it could be if he were to do a clean driver install, but that isn't really a problem and there wouldn't be much benefit there anyways.

Last edited:
OP
T

tikki50

Registered
thanks everyone. I'll try a higher resolution tonight when I get home. I jsust wanted to make sure it wasn't a driver problem.

OP
T

tikki50

Registered
BTW- I enabled everything in the game to see if it would correct the problem. I was also thinking it could be a DX9 issue since my card doesnt support it.