• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jaton GeForce4 MX440

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
I just ordered this card off newegg, with the dual VGA plugs [ Rather than one VGA and a DVI ] and 64meg of DDR ram.

Just wanted to get comments on it, and yes.. I know its silly to get comments on someting I already bought..but ah well, It was in the refurb area for mucho cheapo, so I had to act :D

and yes, I much would have prefered a Radeon card..but yout ake what you get, you know?

pcgirl

I have a Gainward MX440, and I really like it. It's good for general gaming use, I play BF1942, Quake III, UT2003, etc. with it and everything is nice and smooth. Keep in mind I don't have the video settings turned all the way up, however the games still look really good.

DrSpanky

im currently useing a mx 440 cause im selling my other card and then selling the rest of the pc separte

but i must say its 1 kick *** card for its price i can see the difference between that and my ti4600 but well for a budget card wow it rus sweet

OP
Beast Of Blight

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
w00t.

Glad I grabbed it then, It was the only one they had in the refurb area. 50 bucks is sweet if its able to play all the most recent games with half-decent settings.

Wee! Thanks for really reinforcing my buying it! ^_^

Steven4563

i have a PNY Geforce 4 MX440 and id like to say my sig beats this comp by nearly 1000 3dmarks in 3Dmark2001SE

p4 1.6ghz
512 pc133 ram
geforce3 ti200 64meg ddr
80gig h/d

i love my mx440 at the mo
upgrade time soon but im staying with nvidia :D

TUK101

A ti200 beats it for another $25 and you get DX8 features which in most of the newer games gives quite a boost to the visuals, like in WCIII you get to see a bit more eye candy. But hey, for 50 bucks you should be getting a pretty descent card that is able to play the current games at a descent framerate, just without quite as much eye candy :) .

PreservedSwine

Sorry to rain on your parade, but for 50 bucks it's not a bad card, however, there are plenty that are better. A regular GF3 is better, offering better performance, and DirectX8 (Geforc4MX is only DirectX7)

Better cards in same price range:
R8500, GF3, all flavors.

Anyway, a little info is always a good thing- Hope that doesn't ruin it for you,
~Enjoy

deeman

i just bought the asus 440mx\se 64mb ddr with tv out and found it is a very decent card have got it overclocked to 330 core and 420 mem from the 255 and 333 factory settings and i am having no problems no extra heat and very good framerate plays games like bf1942 and the new spiderman and also gta3 no problems and pretty fast it is a quality card for the cheap bucks.

OP
Beast Of Blight

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
I'm going to run out to the shack this weekend to see if I can find any ramsink material, and run over to the local computer shop for some AS3 and an extra case fan, Then I'm going to OC mine.

I want to take extra precautions because I don't want to burn my very first video card ^_^;;

james.miller

My mx440 was a good overclocker (320/480 from 270/400). but the performance isnt exactly on-par anymore. It scored me 6000 points in 3dmark2001 in my current system (cpu @ 1725mhz). my 1.2ghz celly-t @ r9500 combo managed to pull 9k. my current combo ([email protected] and r9500) pulls 12k.

its a good card, and one that i still use, but its fading quickly next to the likes of my r9500 and even r8500's

Last edited:

Bull

I've owned a Jaton card before (geforce 3ti200). It wasn't a bad card. The only thing is it wasn't a good overclocker. The memory on the card would only go 40 mhz higher before artifacts even with ramsinks added. You might have better luck than I did. Not a bad purchase for 50 bucks.

OP
Beast Of Blight

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
Thanks all, I reallya ppriciate all the posts.

I had the horrid feeling that I was going to be a oobaka [ Grand Moron ] for buying this card, but I'm glad I wasn't :D

Thanks guys!

OP
Beast Of Blight

Beast Of Blight

Disabled
Well, says directx8 in the manual..

But ah well.

thumb.jpg

PreservedSwine

Beast Of Blight said:
Well, says directx8 in the manual..

But ah well.

thumb.jpg

No way! Are you sure it's an MX440, and not a Ti? It actually says it's a DirectX8 card?

Man, I'm really sorry to be the one to show you this, but
here's an old performance chart, listing many video cards, look where the MX shows up:( http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-02.html http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-04.html

As far as being a directX8 card, it isn't. Did you read any reviews of this card. It may something on the box like it's driver support DirectX8,. but the card has NO directX8 support (hardware) whatsoever.

Here's a good review http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=165

Anyway, the Geforce4MX line was NOT m,eant to replace the GF3 line, it is a GF2 upgrade. It does not perform as well as a GF3, nor is it DirectX8 compliant. There were many people that were upset about this naming convention when it came out, as you might expect a GF4 to outperform a GF3. But the GF3 is a far superior card.

Anyway, the GF4MX isn't that bad, abd still not a bad buy for $50

~Enjoy:)

\dev\goat

man /dev/goat
I just bought a palit daytona mx440 and im pretty satisfied with it. It skips frames every once in a while but i think that might be because im using my moms p3 866mhz while im waiting on my new case to arrive for my pc...anyways it has a serious heat problem at stock speeds when you turn on texture sharpening, 4xAA, and 2xAnisotropic filtering...i have a pci slot fan blowing directly on it and it cools it a little bit. I am definately not complaining i paid $40 for this card. it is sdr but i overclock the ram to like 415 when i really want fps. :)

[edit: sorry for teh late post but it still applies :p ]