• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumped Ship, new 3770k user

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
24/7 is whenever its on to me, for the record...not literally on 24/7.

1.45v would be my limit and Im not a cautious person. I run my CPU at 4.5Ghz 1.2v (nothing I play needs even that).

24/7 is whenever its on to me, for the record...not literally on 24/7.

1.45v would be my limit and Im not a cautious person. I run my CPU at 4.5Ghz 1.2v (nothing I play needs even that).

Solid copy on that. I'm not that cautious either. I'm not saying that it doesn't matter to me, but I'm expecting about a year and a half before the next upgrade anyway. Warranty doesn't matter, I've cut the top off of her! :D

Time to go play around a bit! :)

Why not be the guinea pig? Try it there since temps are in order... report back in a year or sooner if it happens to croak. :p

Why not be the guinea pig? Try it there since temps are in order... report back in a year or sooner if it happens to croak. :p

LOL! :D I've thought about it!

That said, I'm going to try 4.8GHz and get it stable if it will be stable under 1.450V.

I didn't have the "Extreme Voltage" option clicked in the BIOS. Not sure if it matters. The descriptions in the bios on some of the options are VERY lacking. Testing 4.8GHz at 1.450V to make sure it is stable at that point. If it is, I'll start taking the voltage down.

Solid copy on that. I'm not that cautious either. I'm not saying that it doesn't matter to me, but I'm expecting about a year and a half before the next upgrade anyway. Warranty doesn't matter, I've cut the top off of her! :D

Time to go play around a bit! :)

LOL! :D I've thought about it!

That said, I'm going to try 4.8GHz and get it stable if it will be stable under 1.450V.

I didn't have the "Extreme Voltage" option clicked in the BIOS. Not sure if it matters. The descriptions in the bios on some of the options are VERY lacking. Testing 4.8GHz at 1.450V to make sure it is stable at that point. If it is, I'll start taking the voltage down.

Try 5ghz with 1.5v, see how that goes :D
Are you using Liquid Ultra/Pro/Phobya liquid metal on die? (if not, you should)

Try 5ghz with 1.5v, see how that goes :D
Are you using Liquid Ultra/Pro/Phobya liquid metal on die? (if not, you should)

5.0GHz at 1.5V will boot but wont prime for more than about 15 minutes before BSOD with 124. I tried that first after delidding and after the base run to see the temperature difference. :p That was before I enabled "Extreme Voltage" in the BIOS though. The one place I found that had any information on what that option does said it might push the vcore wall back enough to get another multiplier or two. I suppose it's worth a shot again at 5.0GHz.

I'm using Liquid Ultra on both the die to IHS and IHS to water block. :thup:

4.8GHz is running at 1.450V (1.440V-1.448V under load according to CPU-Z) with the 27.7 version of Prime95 Blend... temps are 69/76/75/70 on the cores after 50 minutes. Temperature obviously isn't the problem here, it's voltage! :cry:

5.0GHz at 1.5V will boot but wont prime for more than about 15 minutes before BSOD with 124. I tried that first after delidding and after the base run to see the temperature difference. :p That was before I enabled "Extreme Voltage" in the BIOS though. The one place I found that had any information on what that option does said it might push the vcore wall back enough to get another multiplier or two. I suppose it's worth a shot again at 5.0GHz.

I'm using Liquid Ultra on both the die to IHS and IHS to water block. :thup:

4.8GHz is running at 1.450V (1.440V-1.448V under load according to CPU-Z) with the 27.7 version of Prime95 Blend... temps are 69/76/75/70 on the cores after 50 minutes. Temperature obviously isn't the problem here, it's voltage! :cry:

You can bench around 5ghz with under 1.6v...I would NEVER go over 1.6v on air/water. Delidded should do fine, as ED said 1.45v is touted as safe for 24/7 use.
So, do have fun and bench and validate higher with more vcore, but try not to go over 1.55v if at all possible. :bday:

You can bench around 5ghz with under 1.6v...I would NEVER go over 1.6v on air/water. Delidded should do fine, as ED said 1.45v is touted as safe for 24/7 use.
So, do have fun and bench and validate higher with more vcore, but try not to go over 1.55v if at all possible. :bday:

I don't do a lot of benching. I participated in the January PiFast competition merely for S&G's. I run Cinebench 11.5 mostly for my own enjoyment. I have neither the time or the budget to get serious about benching or folding, etc. This is mostly a hobby for me and not much more! :)

If I could get 5.0GHz useable for FSX at reasonable voltages I would do it in a heartbeat because as I've said, every 100 MHz is about 2-5 FPS and while that doesn't sound like much, it adds up quickly. Right now, using default scenery except for high resolution textures I'm averaging around 18 in New York City but 30+ most other places with not so many airports... that is barely smooth. More is better! :D

Dang, that Flight sim is cpu bound alright! :p

Yeah, then 5ghz with 1.52v-1.55v might be usable...Try to get that stable with cinebench and check for whea errors in the Event logger. That should do.
Also, oc your rams, it helps with physics scores in 3dm11 so it might be of help for that game. What kind of sticks you got?

EDIT: I see that you have 2x8gb 2400mhz rated ram...that should do fine.

I'm no expert but from what I've been reading after a certain point(1.475~1.5v) no matter how much more volts you add you probably won't beable to oc any higher than what you are at right now.

Maybe on water he has a point but I'm not sure. Obviously it worked at 4.9GHz with 1.500V so who knows if 5.0GHz is stable at higher voltages. I can only imagine it is judging by my temperatures being as low as they are.

Yes, FSX is POORLY optimized for a game built in 2006. The game maxes out one core, always, the rest are about 50-75% utilized and only physical cores. Thankfully the background programs running in the game DO utilize the logical threads so Hyperthreading does have it's benefits. This allows me to dedicate the 4 physical cores to FSX and the remaining 4 logical cores to other tasks like Windows programs and the various weather/"flight enhancement" programs for FSX. Still, 95% of the problem is that Micro$oft fired the team who made the game so no more support for the game from Micro$oft, especially now since that abortion called "Flight" is out (which uses the same game engine...:screwy:)

4.8GHz at 1.450V is now testing at 3hours with no errors (yay!) so I'll let this continue a bit. Temps are showing 69/76/75/70 for max temps so far using Prime95 27.7 Blend.

I say 4.8 is a good oc for 24/7 use, and those temps are nice for 1.45v mine peaks at 90C sometimes, but only when my room reaches 33C ambient.

I say 4.8 is a good oc for 24/7 use, and those temps are nice for 1.45v mine peaks at 90C sometimes, but only when my room reaches 33C ambient.

Yeah 4.8 is definitely overkill for daily use and with exception to FSX, for gaming use as well. :)

By the way, your username is strangely familiar and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't suppose the GT has anything to do with Mustangs does it?

Yeah 4.8 is definitely overkill for daily use and with exception to FSX, for gaming use as well. :)

By the way, your username is strangely familiar and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't suppose the GT has anything to do with Mustangs does it?

My rig is mainly used for folding, so 4.9 isn't overkill for me :p

I used to have a mustang, but no, I've had this U/N for probably 8 years, and the GT came from my days playing Gran Turismo... lol

Let me better explain what I ment. From what I've read is that when most cpus are getting to the 1.5 volt marks whatever your oc is at likey is or close to its ceiling if cooling by air/water. To squeaze that extra 100-200mhz start requiring a lot more volts. This is going by a couple of posts made in the forum. If this is bad information plz tell me since like I've said I'm no expert just going off what others have said in the forum.

My rig is mainly used for folding, so 4.9 isn't overkill for me :p

I used to have a mustang, but no, I've had this U/N for probably 8 years, and the GT came from my days playing Gran Turismo... lol

Ahh well, yes 24/7 Folding will certainly require more processing power than my paltry internet surfing and video gaming! :D

I wonder if I'm mistaking you for one of the guys I know on one of my Mustang forums who has either a similar or the same username.

Ahh well, yes 24/7 Folding will certainly require more processing power than my paltry internet surfing and video gaming! :D

I wonder if I'm mistaking you for one of the guys I know on one of my Mustang forums who has either a similar or the same username.

I used to be in modded mustangs, got banned from there though... lol

Ahh... then you are the same person! Didn't know you got banned though! =\

Now I've gone and hijacked my own thread! :D

lol

I don't mind being banned from there... my mustang was so unreliable it just made me hate mustangs... well, Ford in general

Back