• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Junk PSU killing Hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

forwhlpeil

Registered
New to the forums, but seems like a great information base. Recentley an older hard drive of mine that has worked beautifully for a while crapped out on me. I was reading in these threads that a PS can ruin a drive. I was wondering if this could have been the culprit of my hard drive's demise. I got my pc from a custom-building place near me. Thought i was getting a good deal, etc etc the same old ****. But now that i have got this ruined drive, i already ordered a new one, i have been looking around a lot and learning a lot. And i've found that i really relaly want to firebomb the place that sold me my pc. They stuck me with a allied 250w ps w/ a p4 cele 2.0 w/ 512 PC133 sdram. Im running a cd-rw and dvd-rom with two hard drives, geforce2 mx :( and sblive 5.1 card. I was just wondering if my psu could have been the cause of my hdd failing. I was getting error's like Disk I/O error and the like. Thanks

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Can you tell what voltages your rails are at? Motherboard Monitor 5 should get you in the ballpark.

OP
F

forwhlpeil

Registered
I would do that if there is a way to do it outside of an OS, the drive that it fried was my os drive, i could put an os on my other drive but would loose the data on it(??) So if my bios will tell me then i can check it out for ya, but other than that im not sure.

Edit: Looking at the antec 300W psu, model SL300S, let me know what you guys think of that one. Won't be doing a lot of killer OC'ing or anything, but runnig two HD's, two opticals, floppy, soon to be newer graphics card, and sblive board.

Last edited:

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
forwhlpeil said:
They stuck me with a allied 250w ps w/ a p4 cele 2.0 w/ 512 PC133 sdram.

Lose that Allied yesterday!!! Not only is it a Deer in disguise, it's the worst one - their 250's have an extremely high failure rate and are the lousiest designed PSU's I have ever seen so far (I'm an electronics tech - seen lots of crap but never as bad as my own 250). If this is the one suspected of killing hard drives, it's very possibly the culprit.

Mine did kill a hard drive (US-Can 250w - same unit), and 2 of its replacements; and also damaged my mainboard. Was the last time I ever picked a PSU without researching everything I could first.

That Antec 300 will do you fine for non-oc purposes, but a Fortron 350 at Newegg would be a better value. I would strongly advise grabbing the replacement for the Allied ASAP, and then trash it (the Allied, that is lol).

Last edited:
OP
F

forwhlpeil

Registered
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm definitley getting a new psu, maybe that fortron you suggested, looks like it's a lil bit cheaper, if i don't get the one with the 120mm fan on the top. :)

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
One quick note ...

I own both Fortron, the 120mm bottom fan model and the
one with the 80mm back fan.

If I had to do it over again I would NOT buy the
120mm bottom fan unit.

Why?
Because the 80mm fan unit is exactly the same but gave me
lower temps. And best of all, it was more quiet too.
While a larger 120mm fan is usually more quiet, that is not
the case with this PSU where most of the air gets trapped
inside the unit making the fan more noisy.

The 300w Fortron is only $30 shipped at NewEgg
right now. I wouldn't pay an extra 40% for the additional
50 watts (350w model) unless you are sure you need it.
That 300w unit has been rated at over 400w sustained. :D

Best of luck! :)

OP
F

forwhlpeil

Registered
Ok, i have decided on a fortron, but now i can't decide between the 300 and the 350, on newegg the 350 is about 4 bucks cheaper than the 300, which i find odd unless someone wants to set me straight on why that is. here is the link for the two:

300w
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-995&depa=1

350w
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-986&depa=1

Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

Also, if anyone knows how i can set up the fan i pulled out of my allied psu to work with my other fan, let me know, it has a two-pin connector on it. There is a three pin connection on my mboard for "system fan" but obviously the two-pin wont fit, let me know what i can do.

Tawcan

Registered
Yep PS can kill a HD. Happened to me once. The PS blew up and took the HD along with it. Luckily the rest of the components were fine.

Oklahoma Wolf

forwhlpeil said:
Also, if anyone knows how i can set up the fan i pulled out of my allied psu to work with my other fan, let me know, it has a two-pin connector on it. There is a three pin connection on my mboard for "system fan" but obviously the two-pin wont fit, let me know what i can do.

You may wish you hadn't bothered - the one in my 250 was too weak to do anything with :(

Go for the 350w Fortron - better bang for the buck. Not that the 300w couldn't handle the system, it's just not the better value IMO.

OP
F

forwhlpeil

Registered
Cool. Thanks. Hopefully i can find that psu somewhere tommorrow as my new hd comes on tuesday, and hopefully i can have my psu by then. :) Thanks for all the advice.

GO SEAHAWKS! :)

Oklahoma Wolf

Sorry to say you'd be going from one Deer to another... avoid it. The Fortron is worth the wait, believe me ;)

larrymoencurly

No reputable computer store carries Codegen, except as ballast because Codegen = missing or underrated parts and lousy design. Why bother with Deer crap like that when Newegg or Directron will deliver a first class Fortron/Sparkle/Hi-Q/Power-Q to you in a couple of days for $20--40?